Lack of similar enemy for Federation

Trek Books, Games and General chat
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Lack of similar enemy for Federation

Post by SomosFuga »

Coalition wrote: One potential might be the People's Republic from the Honorverse, who need a short, victorious war.
Are those books good? i haven´t read them yet but i've heard very varied coment about honorverse.
Tsukiyumi wrote:See, we don't do that at all here.

Thank the Lord.

By which I mean Graham Kennedy, of course.
Good to know.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

See, Ian and GK set up a neat little thread that everyone is supposed to look at:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2269

:wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

SomosFuga wrote: Please don't do that, we are just serching for a similar antagonist to UFP not starting a 200 pages long thread. I like crossovers but i'm sick of neverending vs threads.
I'm not trying to start a Vs thread. That's prohibited here. My comment was made as a reminder of that rule, to ensure no one wandered into Forbidden Teritory there. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

:lol: Did Rochey just get moderated by the rookie?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The circle is complete!
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"When I left you I was but the master. Now I am the....*checks mod-green name tag* master yet again!"
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

*Reads thread* Sorry, but it doesn't seem like it was veering to vs. territory, at least IMHO. :?
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

SomosFuga wrote:
Coalition wrote: One potential might be the People's Republic from the Honorverse, who need a short, victorious war.
Are those books good? i haven´t read them yet but i've heard very varied coment about honorverse.
Here is the website with all the CDs that Baen gives away with some of their hardback books:
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

Just go to the CD Listing, click on the arrow, click on the 01-Honorverse CD, and have fun reading.

Basically Weber wanted to do an "Age of Sail" in space.

So he set it up where the main defenses are broadside, and most ships engage from that direction; missile fire initially blinds sensors when fired (like the gunsmoke blinding eyes in ship battles). If an enemy is too powerful, the main STL drive is a pair of flat planes above and below the ship, several dozen kilometers wide and long; effectively impervious to weapons fire. If a fleet sees it is weaker, it can turn up on its side, and let the enemy waste their fire on the flat planes, while the fleet runs away.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:*Reads thread* Sorry, but it doesn't seem like it was veering to vs. territory, at least IMHO. :?
I know. It's certainly not in VS territory. When I saw factions from other universes being brought up, however, I figured I'd throw in a reminder so that no one goes "nah, that group wouldn't stand a chance against the UFP".
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

[quote="Rochey "nah, that group wouldn't stand a chance against the UFP".[/quote]

Ah, ah, carefull there Rochey :poke: !

:dogrun: RUN AWAYYYYYY!!

:laughroll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:*Reads thread* Sorry, but it doesn't seem like it was veering to vs. territory, at least IMHO. :?
I know. It's certainly not in VS territory. When I saw factions from other universes being brought up, however, I figured I'd throw in a reminder so that no one goes "nah, that group wouldn't stand a chance against the UFP".
Okay, thanks. :) Good idea for a pre-emptive warning, I guess. :P
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Rochey wrote:
A good vs thread can be real funny but never ends well, hell sometimes never ends period.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It depends a lot on the participants. If you've got reasonable people on both sides who are willing to admit they're wrong, it can be quite an enjoyable debate. If you've got stuborn jackasses, however, it's an experience akin to slamming your head against a wall repeatedly; painful and you lose braincells. I've run into both types during my stay on the internet.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:It depends a lot on the participants. If you've got reasonable people on both sides who are willing to admit they're wrong, it can be quite an enjoyable debate. If you've got stuborn jackasses, however, it's an experience akin to slamming your head against a wall repeatedly; painful and you lose braincells. I've run into both types during my stay on the internet.
Thankfully, that issue doesn't apply here.

Except for political debates. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well if you'd just be reasonable instead of some dirty pseudo-commie we wouldn't have that problem would we?