Windows?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Windows?

Post by Mikey »

Yep. But if your "window" showed star-streaks, who could figure out casually in their head that exact shade of red shown in the Doppler red-shift wasn't quite accurate based on the stated speed of the ship?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Mikey wrote:Yep. But if your "window" showed star-streaks, who could figure out casually in their head that exact shade of red shown in the Doppler red-shift wasn't quite accurate based on the stated speed of the ship?
What?

Your holodeck example was a forest. It would be obvious that it was a holodeck. I'm pointing out that if the TV showed something just as obvious(Earth for hours even while they were traveling), then people would know it as a TV.

In this the TV and holodeck are the same. If the program is obvious, then people would know what it was. If well hidden, then people wouldn't notice.

I'm trying to point out that the holodeck and TV would be just as obvious to a passerby, depending on the program.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. I was just pointing out the flip-side of that coin - that the "windows" and holodeck could be as equally transparent (no pun intended.)
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it could be very obvious.

Similarly, it could be almost impossible to tell apart from the real thing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok, I get that. I was just pointing my veiw out because of Rochey saying
Hell, build it in cleverly enough and no one would even realise it's not a window.
The same could be said about a holodeck. Program it right, and no one would know.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes? So what?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:| Never mind.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So, did you actualy have any point with those comments, or what?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I had a point, but it isn't worth it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Something to do with the holodeck morality debate, I presume?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, but there's no point in me trying to continue. Especially because I don't even want to. I'm just too damned argumentative. :bangwall:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Yeah, but there's no point in me trying to continue. Especially because I don't even want to. I'm just too damned argumentative. :bangwall:
Take the argument back to that thread. Don't quit just because others don't agree with your viewpoint; refine your argument. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If you mean there's no point because you won't convince the opposition, then yeah - but then. there's little point to most ofour discussions.

If you mean there's no point at all, then I disagree; the idea of a forum is to express your views.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

No the thing is, I don't want to continue. It just happens(and way to often). This is me reining myself back in.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hey, man - whatever butters your biscuit. :)
as Bull offed Custer