Self-Destruct

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Self-Destruct

Post by Lighthawk »

Nearly a million tons for the TOS Ent. I'm happy to believe that of an 800,000 ton ship, 50,000 tons could be antimatter.
I think that would be over kill to an unbeliveable degree. If we go with the canon, coming right from the episode you reference, Obsession, then what we have is a fuel source of which one ounce has the power of 1.22 megatons, basically 1,220,000 tons of TNT. That is per ounce, so a mere ton of antimatter would have the power of 43,033.06 megatons, or 43,033,060,000 tons of TNT. ( I would like to point out that the largest nuke ever actually detonated real world was a realtively pathetic 50 megatons) 50,000 tons of antimatter would be worth 2,151,653 megatons, or 2,151,653,000,000 tons of TNT. That's just insane to consider, there would be no way you would ever need that kind of power, and it would be crazy to fly around with that kind of explosive potential. That wouldn't just blow up a planet if it went off, it'd probably vaporize it.

It's not that they give the amount, it's that they show the effects. Obsession I mentioned. In The Immunity Syndrome the ship generates an antimatter explosion that throws is clear of a life form that's bigger than Africa. Explosions in the planet-wrecking range as a result of M/Am detonations are canonical.
They are canonical, but hardly the norm. In truth, the best source of info on the basis of this debate can be found in the most common canonical antimatter explosions, photon torpedeos. We've seen hundreds of these things blow up, and have several on screen results to how much power they have against objects in space. The results against ground based targets are far fewer, but the difference is pretty clear. In space, a torpedeo (against an unsheilded target) is pretty suffeicent to destroy a whole ship, but the explosion doesn't travel very far beyond the limits of the ship itself, even with what must be the added force of the ship's own antimatter fuel igniting as well. So we're getting a blast radius somewhere between 200-1000 meters, depending on the size of the ship, which might very well be scienticfically accurate. The explosion travels quickly and transferes power easily through the material of the ship itself, but once the blast leaves the ship, and enters a vacuum, it no longer has a medium to transfere it's energy, and thus quickly dies out.

Now an in atmosphere torpedeo blast on the other hand, has been shown to wipe out entire cities, with an explosive radius of several thousand meters easy. Air makes the difference, it gives the energy of the explosion something to travel through. Both scientifically and canonically, we have to accept that an explosion in a vacuum will be far less powerful then one in air. So a ship exploding in orbit isn't going to do much, unless it is in such a low orbit that it is skimming the upper atmosphere.

So really, if you're going to blow up your ship, it's best just to completely destroy it. You won't be saving any planets going with a lower level blast, unless the ship has already crashed. If it's floating around in space though, go ahead and nuke the core, the boom won't get very far.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Lighthawk wrote: So really, if you're going to blow up your ship, it's best just to completely destroy it. You won't be saving any planets going with a lower level blast, unless the ship has already crashed. If it's floating around in space though, go ahead and nuke the core, the boom won't get very far.
We've seen Voyager feel quite a rock from something like 800,000 km after just a shuttle blew up in the ep where they have a big shuttle race. Not that I disagree with your principle - the overall effectiveness of any WMD would be considerably greater in air than in a vacuum - but that doesn't mean in space it would be nothing, only that it's not as much as 'powerful' as in air.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Thorin wrote:
Lighthawk wrote: So really, if you're going to blow up your ship, it's best just to completely destroy it. You won't be saving any planets going with a lower level blast, unless the ship has already crashed. If it's floating around in space though, go ahead and nuke the core, the boom won't get very far.
We've seen Voyager feel quite a rock from something like 800,000 km after just a shuttle blew up in the ep where they have a big shuttle race. Not that I disagree with your principle - the overall effectiveness of any WMD would be considerably greater in air than in a vacuum - but that doesn't mean in space it would be nothing, only that it's not as much as 'powerful' as in air.

Well lets face it, voyager was horribly inconsistant. Plus come on, you know the reason the ship shook had far more to do with adding a dramatic touch then because of any effort of the writers to be realistic. I serious doubt anyone sat down and did the math to figure out if the shuttle's explosion has a strength of X then at distance Y...

That's the problem with trying to establish canonical numbers for things like explosive power, those numbers are almost never computed, they're just set for whatever the writers need them to be for the episode. A shuttle blows up and rocks voyager from nearly a million km, but how many times have we seen voyager, or the enterprise, or the defiant, blast the hell out of some ship right under their nose without even a tremor running through the deck? Stuff like that can't be taken for canon, because it's all dependant on the plot at the moment. At least the explosions of ships is fairly consistant, the blasts are all just a few dozen or so meters bigger then the ship that is exploding.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lighthawk wrote:
Nearly a million tons for the TOS Ent. I'm happy to believe that of an 800,000 ton ship, 50,000 tons could be antimatter.
I think that would be over kill to an unbeliveable degree.
And you are entitled to your opinion. But there's no canon on the subject either way.
If we go with the canon, coming right from the episode you reference, Obsession, then what we have is a fuel source of which one ounce has the power of 1.22 megatons, basically 1,220,000 tons of TNT. That is per ounce, so a mere ton of antimatter would have the power of 43,033.06 megatons, or 43,033,060,000 tons of TNT. ( I would like to point out that the largest nuke ever actually detonated real world was a realtively pathetic 50 megatons) 50,000 tons of antimatter would be worth 2,151,653 megatons, or 2,151,653,000,000 tons of TNT. That's just insane to consider, there would be no way you would ever need that kind of power, and it would be crazy to fly around with that kind of explosive potential. That wouldn't just blow up a planet if it went off, it'd probably vaporize it.
This is nothing more or less than argument from incredulity. You say it's an insane amount of energy to carry around and they could never need that much. However, we have no idea how much energy warp drive requires, nor shields, phasers, grav plating, etc. You can't argue that they wouldn't need that much when we've no idea what their energy requirements are.

And it's almost always true that when people say "it will never be that much!" about the future, they turn out to be wrong. How would a 19th century person react to the notion that one bomb could be as powerful as ten million tons of explosives? How would a 1940s person react to the idea that one computer could be ten billion times as powerful as his? The pace of advance on these things is only increasing, and TOS has two centuries more of advancement to come.

And incidentally, if we go strictly by canon then there is something very weird about the antimatter used in TOS, and it is in fact vastly more powerful than you discuss above. That one ounce produced a detonation far and away greater than a megaton or so.
They are canonical, but hardly the norm. In truth, the best source of info on the basis of this debate can be found in the most common canonical antimatter explosions, photon torpedeos. We've seen hundreds of these things blow up, and have several on screen results to how much power they have against objects in space. The results against ground based targets are far fewer, but the difference is pretty clear. In space, a torpedeo (against an unsheilded target) is pretty suffeicent to destroy a whole ship, but the explosion doesn't travel very far beyond the limits of the ship itself, even with what must be the added force of the ship's own antimatter fuel igniting as well. So we're getting a blast radius somewhere between 200-1000 meters, depending on the size of the ship, which might very well be scienticfically accurate. The explosion travels quickly and transferes power easily through the material of the ship itself, but once the blast leaves the ship, and enters a vacuum, it no longer has a medium to transfere it's energy, and thus quickly dies out.
But there are several issues with this. Torpedoes are of variable yield, and we are rarely told what yield is being used (and it's usually in weird units or an arbitrary setting number when we are).

Star Trek ships are composed of materials unknown to the present day - tritanium, duranium, etc - and we have a limited idea how tough and durable these are - though what we do know indicates that they are pretty damned tough, given for example that the Enterprise withstood a nuclear bomb going off right next to it in Balance of Terror.

Further complicating this is references to structural integrity fields. We know from The Chase and Gambit that these can protect a hull almost as well as full shields do. We can only speculate about how they would affect estimates of the effect of a weapon on a target.

Then we have the idea that an exploding ship explodes its antimatter. I would say, given the canonical references and depictions of what a starship's antimatter going up can do, that this is rarely if ever a feature of a starship explosion. I have no problem believing that an exploding ship dumps as much antimatter as possible in the last fraction of a second, if for no other reason than that believing such allows us to accept all of the facts.

Now an in atmosphere torpedeo blast on the other hand, has been shown to wipe out entire cities, with an explosive radius of several thousand meters easy. Air makes the difference, it gives the energy of the explosion something to travel through. Both scientifically and canonically, we have to accept that an explosion in a vacuum will be far less powerful then one in air. So a ship exploding in orbit isn't going to do much, unless it is in such a low orbit that it is skimming the upper atmosphere.
Let us assume, for the moment, that the ship does carry 50,000 tons of antimatter and an equal amount of matter. Even assume that it's normal everyday antimatter rather than whatever weird stuff TOS seems to use. Explosive yield of that is around 2 billion megatons. From an orbit say 500 miles up, that means the planet would receive some six hundred megatons per square mile. Even if 99.9% of that was absorbed by the atmosphere - and I can't believe it would be - it would still be absolutely devastating. I know that's a very quick and dirty guestimate, but I think it's a reasonable conclusion - and while we could argue the numbers the other way easily, I also think it's perfectly possible that I am greatly underestimating it if anything.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not to be an ass, but care to share the math on that?

Based off what I'm calculating the affected surface area based off a 500 mile up detonation is 11,977,649 square miles.

Also, when calculating yeilds from anti-matter explosions you have to remember 50-70% of the energy is released as neutrinos, which have no real intereaction with normal matter (for the purposes of death and destruction). Additionally, since you're in orbit less than 50% of the energy will actually be directed towards the planet. Much of it will be released out in space. At an altitude of 500 miles only 12.18% of the yeild will actually be directed at the surface. So for a 2 billion megaton blast you're getting at best 73,080,000 to 121,800,000 megatons of energy directed at the surface after accounting for neutrino emissions and actual surface affecting energy. Factored over the affected surface area that's between 6.1 and 10.17 megatons per square mile of surface.*

Yeah I know I said my piece, but the math looked off and I had to run it down.

*And for my original estimate of ~250 tons of anti-matter aboard it'd be only 0.031 to 0.051 or 31 to 51 kilotons of energy per square mile.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Somehow, I think even one kiloton of energy per square mile would ruin everyone's day. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

In atmosphere, yeah. Exoatmospheric, not so much.

Edit: And here's the math

Just for fun I decided to do the math, again.

Based off the energy per square mile along with the associated mass of of air above it I decided to calculate the temperature rise on the ground based off an even absorption of the energy through the air mass (which is just plain wrong for reasons I'll get to later.) Assuming my smaller sized explosions, 31 and 51 kilotons respectively, the mass of air above the ground will increase 1.1 and 1.8 degrees C respectively. You'll feel some heat but that's about it. Using Grant's larger figure (based of 50 kilotons of antimatter and my calcs for energy distribution) the temp rise is a blistering 212.1 to 372 degrees C. Enough to burn, ignite fires, etc.

The problem with this is pretty basic, the gamma, UV, and X-rays that make up the majority of the energy release can't penetrate the atmosphere uniformly to the ground. The heating will primarily occur at very high altitudes. The energy from those rays will pretty much be expended on the upper 10 to 25% of the atmosphere by mass. In other words anything below about 7 miles will receive no appreciable heating. For perspective that means even commercial jets won't feel much, initially. Given the distance, the temperature rise, and the instantaneous nature of it people on the ground will feel no real temperature effects aside from some slight radiant warming. Upper layers of the atmosphere may be pushing 1500 degrees C but you're more than 7 miles from them. That massive heating of all that air will cause other issues. First, it's gonna expand and create a shock wave, second as that air starts moving due to heating it will create some significant winds. In both cases the surface has some protection due to the distance it is from the heated zone of the atmosphere.

So what would an observer on the ground feel from 50,000 tons of AM going off in orbit? Well, the sky will glow as it's heated, shortly there after they'll feel something akin to the sonic boom from hell as the shock wave from the expanding atmosphere arrives. After that some pretty hellacious winds for a while. Finally, all that air movement will likely stir up major thunderstorms over a wide area. The shock wave is the wild card to be honest. The winds will be bad but at the surface they'll be minimal, most air movement will be at altitudes closer to the heated zone. The shock wave, well I'm out of my element there. I don't know of a good way to model the shock wave from such a distributed heated area and its energy after traveling 7+ miles to the surface. Since you're looking at between 5 and 10 times expansion in the volume of air it'll have some serious energy behind it but blast is one of the least efficient methods of trying to cause damage at range. My gut is saying the distance and the fact that the shock wave is not point source (the area of atmosphere being heated is dozens of miles thick) will rob it of most of it's power. I'd expect shattered windows, maybe some broken ear drums, some really flimsy buildings (shanties) might collapse but even a modest modern dwelling would weather it, never mind whatever they're building houses of in 2250+.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

To echo Thorin (for whom this sort of thing has a professional interest, BTW) the time between the initial M/AM annihilation and any further propagation would be there, to be sure - but so negligible as to be a completely academic point. Any "push" of the next AM particle farther from its "target," due to the annihilation of the first one," would be counteracted by a coinicidental annihilation in a different location. Further, there's matter everywhere, especially aboard a ship; any such "push" away from one particle would also push the affected particle toward another one.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

And you are entitled to your opinion. But there's no canon on the subject either way.
No, but isn't that why people have these discussions, just because there is in fact no offical onfo (assuming we go only by what has been stated in the shows and ignore other offically licensed sources) Just because there is no canon for it, doesn't mean there is not any way to use what info has been provided to make educated guesses.
This is nothing more or less than argument from incredulity. You say it's an insane amount of energy to carry around and they could never need that much. However, we have no idea how much energy warp drive requires, nor shields, phasers, grav plating, etc. You can't argue that they wouldn't need that much when we've no idea what their energy requirements are.
I disagree, while we can't know exactly what energy needs they require, we can make some general guesses based on results. Phaser impacts on various materials we could figure out by how much relative heat and or damage is done. A phaser beam that just burns a hole in a guy's chest probably wasn't sucking up energy equal to a nuclear blast for example. Based on the mass of ships, we can make guesses at impulse engine energy uses by the rate of accelaration. Admittitly, I don't have the mathematic skills (or likely the pateince) to figure these ballpark numbers out, but even without doing the math I think I can reasonably say certain degrees of energy are just way too much or way too little.
And it's almost always true that when people say "it will never be that much!" about the future, they turn out to be wrong. How would a 19th century person react to the notion that one bomb could be as powerful as ten million tons of explosives? How would a 1940s person react to the idea that one computer could be ten billion times as powerful as his? The pace of advance on these things is only increasing, and TOS has two centuries more of advancement to come.
I do agree with the point that people trying to guess the future never do get it quite right, but they overguess just as much as the underguess I'd argue. Look back to the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Think about how many scifi works of those times showed that by the year 2000, we'd have flying cars, personal robots, laser pistols, ect.

No, no 19th century person would have believed anything could be so powerful (except maybe God), but then again, they had no idea of nuclear material. In the real world yeah, we have no clue what we might discover next, but we are talking about a fictional world that has provided us with an energy source, and has shown it's general power. We have a basis to go on, our 19th century guy not only does not, but he wouldn't even have the motivation to consider the hypothetical, which we do and are doing.
And incidentally, if we go strictly by canon then there is something very weird about the antimatter used in TOS, and it is in fact vastly more powerful than you discuss above. That one ounce produced a detonation far and away greater than a megaton or so.
...well in that case, I think that stands as an arguement for my case about how much of the stuff you would every actually want on hand. If my figure of 2 billion is actually smaller than it should be, well damn. We've already got enough to burst a planet like a glass bead being hit by a sledgehammer, going up even more? I know we don't know exactly how much energy various things need, but I really just can't imagine, based on what I have seen in trek, that they would be anything approaching what we're talking about here.
But there are several issues with this. Torpedoes are of variable yield, and we are rarely told what yield is being used (and it's usually in weird units or an arbitrary setting number when we are).

Point, this is one of those things where we have to speculate. We know the size of a torpedo though, and thus can make some guesses as to just how much AM one could cram into it. Even if we go overboard and say that half the torpedo is the warhead, you're talking about maybe a few hundred pounds of the stuff.
Star Trek ships are composed of materials unknown to the present day - tritanium, duranium, etc - and we have a limited idea how tough and durable these are - though what we do know indicates that they are pretty damned tough, given for example that the Enterprise withstood a nuclear bomb going off right next to it in Balance of Terror.

Further complicating this is references to structural integrity fields. We know from The Chase and Gambit that these can protect a hull almost as well as full shields do. We can only speculate about how they would affect estimates of the effect of a weapon on a target.
Hmmm...I am torn on this. On the one hand, yeah, we don't know how strong the stuff is, and we don't know how much a SIF adds. On the other, we've seen a torpedo put a multi-mile hole in a planet. The energy that represents is just staggering to consider from any standpoint.

I would like to point out this though, we know that a nuclear explosion produces heat as great or greater than that produced by a yellow star within our own sun's range. As a torpedo hit has been shown to have a similar effect, I think we can safely say that the energy release is thus within the same general area. We've also seen that starships getting too close to a star can be damaged or destroyed by their heat, so we know that whatever they are made of, it does not have an absurdly high temperture tolerance. Being hit by a torpedo is basically thus like being at the epicenter of a nuclear explosion. However strong the material is, if it starts melting, I don't think even a SIF is going to save things.
Then we have the idea that an exploding ship explodes its antimatter. I would say, given the canonical references and depictions of what a starship's antimatter going up can do, that this is rarely if ever a feature of a starship explosion. I have no problem believing that an exploding ship dumps as much antimatter as possible in the last fraction of a second,
I'm sorry, but I can't for the sake of common sense agree with this. You're saying that ships have some feature that lets them realize they are blowing up, and that they can then just dump they're AM? I can't buy that at all, I'm sorry. We've seen what it takes to dump AM, we've seen a few core dumps and it is nothing near fast enough to compete with a ship in mid-explosion. Even assuming that ships have this feature, that it can somehow recgonize when it is in the middle of total destruction and that it's components are even still working enough to jet the AM faster than any AM dump we've ever seen, and ignoring that we've never seen any indication of this hypothetical dump, why would it be a feature to begin with?

If the resulting blast would be as you've been arguing, massive and far ranging regardless of vacuum, wouldn't that be what you'd want as the downed ship? A possible way to take your enemy down with you? The federation we might be able to make some case against this, but the klingons? Romulans? They would love to have their ship's death throes take down the enemy that killed them.
if for no other reason than that believing such allows us to accept all of the facts.
I'm sorry, but I find this to be flawed reasoning. You're saying that in order to accept what we've seen, in this case the explosion sizes of detonating ships, we should believe in a system that we have never heard reference to, and which works in a manner far superior to a simular system that we have actually seen in use. We should accept this hypothetical system as being more likely to exist than that the reason ships don't go boom over several hundred km is because being in a vacuum denies the blast it's power.
Let us assume, for the moment, that the ship does carry 50,000 tons of antimatter and an equal amount of matter. Even assume that it's normal everyday antimatter rather than whatever weird stuff TOS seems to use. Explosive yield of that is around 2 billion megatons. From an orbit say 500 miles up, that means the planet would receive some six hundred megatons per square mile. Even if 99.9% of that was absorbed by the atmosphere - and I can't believe it would be - it would still be absolutely devastating. I know that's a very quick and dirty guestimate, but I think it's a reasonable conclusion - and while we could argue the numbers the other way easily, I also think it's perfectly possible that I am greatly underestimating it if anything.
I'll have to bow to Tyyr's reply on this one, I sure can't add anything or do any better.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Lighthawk wrote:If my figure of 2 billion is actually smaller than it should be, well damn. We've already got enough to burst a planet like a glass bead being hit by a sledgehammer, going up even more?
Anal retentive math geek here again.

You're actually no where near the energy required to cause significant damage to the planet on a truly global scale. An equivalent asteroid impact to this would dwarf the Chicxulub event by about an order of magnitude but you're still talking about a strike from a 15 mi diameter asteroid. Yeah, life on the planet is pretty much fucked but to the planet itself it's like being winged by an airsoft pellet.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Ah...well my bad. Still, that seems like an insane amount of energy to be toting around with you.

...I don't suppose such a blast might do anything screwy to the planet's orbit?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, again its just not enough energy to make much of a difference on an astronomical scale. Like I said, winged by an airsoft pellet.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Boy, that kind of stuff sure makes one feel insignificant. The total destruction of all life as we know it is little more than a small bruise on the planet itself.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You should feel insignificant. In spite of our collective overblown sense of self importance we are insignificant.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Guesstimating figures from effects isn't terribly helpful either, as we have to pretty much make up the efficiency of the technology involved. We can't determine, for example, the amount of energy used by a phaser based on its effect; we can only estimate the amount of energy actually imparted to the effect.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer