Tractor beams

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Tractor beams

Post by Nickswitz »

Was it ever mentioned in Trek how tractor beams actually work, like, what the beam is, and how it hold on to the object without a physical connection.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Re: Tractor beams

Post by Lazar »

Not AFAIK, but I imagine it would involve generating gravitons (as with their artificial gravity system). Maybe the blue beam that we see is some sort of containment field to keep the gravitons focused.

PS: Tractor beams? I hardly know her beams!
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Like a lot of stuff it's pretty spelled out in TNG:TM, but that's generally considered non-canon. They warp the local space time to create a gradient. Ya know those diagrams used to explain gravity where they drop the ball on a rubber sheet and it makes a divot? Well the tractor beam creates an artificial divot where you want the ship to be and gravity pulls the ship to that spot.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, that all makes sense, I figured it had something to do with distorting gravity, and I think the idea that the blue beam is a containment field for them makes sense.
Now, another question, do tractor beams work in subspace?
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the official explanation is that tractor beams work because of stuff... and junk...

On a slightly more serious note, I doubt they'd work in subspace. Gravitic effects are based on curvature of the space-time fabric, and subspace is based on the idea of going through or around that fabric.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, have we seen any canon examples of it working (or not working) in subspace, I was wondering this because of a story I'm writing, in my head, I have to get it on paper soon, or in the computer.
The world ended

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I wanna say no, but for some reason I have a mental image of something being towed by tractor beam while the tow-er is at warp.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Tyyr wrote:I wanna say no, but for some reason I have a mental image of something being towed by tractor beam while the tow-er is at warp.
I have the same thought, I know in some games your able to tow stuff at warp speeds, but I want to make sure my story flows with cannon.
The world ended

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well, going by TNG:TM they would, since part of the deflector is actually a reversed tractor beam that pushes larger bits of matter out of the way of the ship at warp instead of letting them hit the deflector shields.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Ok, well, if anyone knows anything more let me know, I plan on getting my story up on the writers forum soon... Yeah, Rochey's soon I mean.
The world ended

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:I think the official explanation is that tractor beams work because of stuff... and junk...

On a slightly more serious note, I doubt they'd work in subspace. Gravitic effects are based on curvature of the space-time fabric, and subspace is based on the idea of going through or around that fabric.
There's no on-screen evidence of a tractor in warp, but we see those starfleet tugs in DS9 after a few battles. I can't imagine towing a ship under impulse power, due to the time constraints. Also, isn't the Vico towed to a starbase in "Hero Worship"? Not seen on screen, but implied.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, based on the fact that it is never directly refuted in canon, I see no issue using it.
The world ended

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'm not sure, but didn't the E-nil use a tractor beam on Mudd's ship in Mudd's Women while they were at warp. It was always hard to tell if they were at warp, so I'm not sure.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Nickswitz wrote:Well, based on the fact that it is never directly refuted in canon, I see no issue using it.
I tend to agree, more for the principle of the argument "just because it's not mentioned in canon doesn't mean it doesn't exist." There are reasons for and against it, but logic would suggest there has to be some way to tow with a tractor beam in subspace. The most logical explanation would be for the towing ship to extend its warp bubble around the ship being towed, creating a warp field around both ships, allowing the tractor to exist within that bubble. Speculation, but I don't think it's any more crazy than some of the "quantum" we get in canon.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

We've seen tractors used at warp in DS9.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...