Star Trek: New Frontier - Any fans?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Star Trek: New Frontier - Any fans?

Post by Bryan Moore »

Has anyone followed this at all? I just got the compilation of the first four books. I'm through number one, and it seems interesting enough, though some of Peter David's dialogue seems a little forced or contrived at some points. Either way, I like that the idea of developing a whole new crew with new faces, and just a few characters we've previously seen, allowing a maintained connection to the "real" series.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek: New Frontier - Any fans?

Post by Mark »

I like the New Frontier series better than Voyager and Enterprise put together. It's Trek as it should be, pushing the envelope with sex and violence.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I jumped in with "Renaissance" but never got around to picking up the earlier/later books. I have a lot of catching up to do, but what I have read I like. New Frontier has my vote for what the next Trek TV series should be.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I like the New Frontier series better than Voyager and Enterprise put together. It's Trek as it should be, pushing the envelope with sex and violence.
Heartily seconded. The fact that it's never taken itself too seriously certainly helps.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

My only problem with this and the Titan books is that you have the whole "Ooooh what a quirky crew we have here!" aspect to it, which sometimes seems a little bit contrived. I fully believe that Starfleet vessels would be bio-diverse, but the idea of "OMG, its never been done before, how will we get along!" seems a little bit unnecessary. The "odd couple" nature of the crew is fun, but sometimes I can't help but think in the back of my mind "Okay, we get it, he's different and quirky... do your farking job, professional."
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I think New Frontier worked well.......EXCEPT the Hermat character. That one just irritates me.

That was one flaw of Destiny series. They had so many characters of so many different races with no common frame of reference, it got confusing during the battle with the Hirogen and on the Borg ship.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:I think New Frontier worked well.......EXCEPT the Hermat character. That one just irritates me.

That was one flaw of Destiny series. They had so many characters of so many different races with no common frame of reference, it got confusing during the battle with the Hirogen and on the Borg ship.
I can see that. I guess it just gets sorta silly that despite hundreds of worlds in the Federation, potentially, they thought of a bunch of different races aboard plays havoc. I'm all for the idea of a primarily Homo Sapiens Starfleet, if Humans became the dominant species. That's not unheard of, based on the amount of colonizing Earth supposedly has done. I'm also not against the idea of an integrated fleet, as that too works. But it just seems that there's too much "This is the most diverse crew ever!" in a lot of the E.U., yet we don't see it much in canon.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bryan Moore wrote:My only problem with this and the Titan books is that you have the whole "Ooooh what a quirky crew we have here!" aspect to it, which sometimes seems a little bit contrived. I fully believe that Starfleet vessels would be bio-diverse, but the idea of "OMG, its never been done before, how will we get along!" seems a little bit unnecessary. The "odd couple" nature of the crew is fun, but sometimes I can't help but think in the back of my mind "Okay, we get it, he's different and quirky... do your farking job, professional."
I've only read the first Titan book, but I had that reaction too. It's probably because most of the book I have read are TOS books, and the TOS books depicted the exact same thing. In TOS novels there are a number of alien characters, including recurring characters such as the first Horta in Starfleet, amongst others.

So when I read the Titan book I was very much "been there, done that, why would this even be a big deal at all?"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:My only problem with this and the Titan books is that you have the whole "Ooooh what a quirky crew we have here!" aspect to it, which sometimes seems a little bit contrived. I fully believe that Starfleet vessels would be bio-diverse, but the idea of "OMG, its never been done before, how will we get along!" seems a little bit unnecessary. The "odd couple" nature of the crew is fun, but sometimes I can't help but think in the back of my mind "Okay, we get it, he's different and quirky... do your farking job, professional."
I've only read the first Titan book, but I had that reaction too. It's probably because most of the book I have read are TOS books, and the TOS books depicted the exact same thing. In TOS novels there are a number of alien characters, including recurring characters such as the first Horta in Starfleet, amongst others.

So when I read the Titan book I was very much "been there, done that, why would this even be a big deal at all?"
Because it was done a long time ago and the authors/publisher's probably forgot.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Still trying to figure out HOW a Horta would serve in Starfleet. They have that same problem as genetically enhanced whales have with a lack of opposable digits. But at least we all know what a Horta looks like. Most of that diverse crew we have no reference for.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The Horta didn't do much aboard except be there. Although in one of the Diane Duane novels, he did help Bones escape from Romulus by tunneling up from underneath the senate floor and causing many Romulans the need to change their pants. :mrgreen:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

By the way, I just picked up the new New Frontier book, after that Lefler's hubby gets slaughtered. Anyone else read it?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The Horta didn't do much aboard except be there. Although in one of the Diane Duane novels, he did help Bones escape from Romulus by tunneling up from underneath the senate floor and causing many Romulans the need to change their pants. :mrgreen:
Does anyone feel bad for whoever was sharing quarters with the Horta? Especially if the Horta had the top bunk. One nightmare, and Ensign Ricky is melted into oblivion!

And I vaguely remember this from some of the older Trek books when I was a kid and reading this. What books was it in, though?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Bryan Moore wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The Horta didn't do much aboard except be there. Although in one of the Diane Duane novels, he did help Bones escape from Romulus by tunneling up from underneath the senate floor and causing many Romulans the need to change their pants. :mrgreen:
Does anyone feel bad for whoever was sharing quarters with the Horta? Especially if the Horta had the top bunk. One nightmare, and Ensign Ricky is melted into oblivion!

And I vaguely remember this from some of the older Trek books when I was a kid and reading this. What books was it in, though?
There's a ship specially designed for Horta's in Dyson Sphere
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bryan Moore wrote:

Mostly the Diane Duane novels.