Could the UFP conquer modern day Earth?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Could the UFP conquer modern day Earth?

Post by Captain Seafort »

Yep - it's an abbreviation of "articulated lorry".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

Mikey wrote:
Mostly healthy (wife had quite a few stitches, baby's a bit yellow but bilirubin levels are going down. Thanks. :D
Both of my kids were a little jaundice. A little sunlight during nap time helped my first one. The other had to wear one of those bilirubin blankets. She looked like a glow worm, or in a ST frame of mind a mini warp core, with that contraption on. :lol:

Again congrats and again sorry for the hijack.

Bump.
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

So, you mean a semi-rig as opposed to a straight truck, right?

I mean, a tractor-trailer combo.

Capt. Jethro - unfortunately, it keeps climbing slightly. So, now he's had to go to formula to help, um, push everything out, plus sitting in the sun.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:Yep - it's an abbreviation of "articulated lorry".
Ah, thanks. I spent a lot of my childhood in them; it's fun to learn what other countries call them. :)

As to the OP, I'm with the majority here; between myself and three of my friends, we have about 30 firearms, and thousands of rounds of ammo. Redshirt morons beaming down like they did in Paradise Lost would become mince in short order, and since they seem to like advancing without taking cover, any additional patrols would likely follow suit.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That and even if they used the PLOT MAGIC to beam away "weapons and ammo". An arrow is still wood, and my compound bow shoots just fine... 8)

One squad worth of arrows later, we've got us a squads worth of phaser rifles. Of which will lead to many more phasers in the near future. :twisted:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The important quesiton is, will Federation Redshirts be vulnerable to light grenades?
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm not sure. I would wonder if the redshirts are just to damn lazy to bother picking it up.
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

Clearly Earth would prevail, as long as internet tough guys like Deepcrush can spare a few minutes to Rambo their way to instant victory.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given the sarcasm of that post, I'm guessing you think the UFP could occupy Earth, right? If so, providing an argument to defend that conclusion would be helpfull.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

No joke. As I pointed out, a few well-trained guys with personal weapons here in the US could take out dozens of Redshirts, if not more. When the Army and Marines get involved, the Feds are toast.

The question isn't "could they obliterate us?", it's "could they hope to occupy the planet?" I think not.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. As Seafort pointed out in the other ground combat thread, if your objective is to pacify a planet through any means necessary, simply sitting in orbit and lobbing torps at every area that has life signs in it is more than adequate.
If your objective is to sieze the planet, however, you need boots on the ground. That's where the UFP runs into problems, as they'd have no real chance of ever taking on modern military forces in an urban environment.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Well if negotiations fail then it obviously means that Jean Luc is out in deep space and for once enterprise isn't the nearest ship. :)
If we are assuming the feds act the way we've seen them act in the past and the negotiations with us go bad then they bugger off back into space. We've seen it before have we not where they're quite happy to have non warp worlds inside their borders and will let us get on with our own killing of each other and burning up resources until we become a viable threat to them and other races in the AQ. Then when/if we do develop to become a threat they let section 31 or somesuch guide/ alter things here until we see their viewpoint. They seem to have a longer term / don't really give a shit view on pre warp civilizations.

On the face of things earth infantry do beat average redshirt in tactics and usefulness of weapons but out in space we have no chance, they just sit back (I don't mean just in earth orbit) and pick off pretty much anything we can throw at them. Or like I said just bugger off at warp with a few warning bouys about and the odd patrol through the system to make sure we weren't misbehaving.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Exactly. As Seafort pointed out in the other ground combat thread, if your objective is to pacify a planet through any means necessary, simply sitting in orbit and lobbing torps at every area that has life signs in it is more than adequate.
If your objective is to sieze the planet, however, you need boots on the ground. That's where the UFP runs into problems, as they'd have no real chance of ever taking on modern military forces in an urban environment.
Honestly? They could occupy Earth or at least parts of it but an actual conquest would be next to impossible. There's no way we could ever compete with orbital supremacy and magic sensors, likely it would just become a long drawn out insurgency ala Afghanistan. Think about places like the ME or Africa, where there are little to no checks on barbarism or government control. I doubt that SF would even be willing to send troops there, or that there is anything they want. Frankly I'd see them taking a Visitors approach rather then outright invasion, that would be a smarter approach. We can't compete with the orbital high ground and the potential endless waves of troops but we can make life for their troops literally hell on Earth.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

This all seems very very very one sided. Has anyone tried to support the UFP?
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Ground troops go to us, Space goes to Feds? They come in things don't go their way they bugger off and watch us to make sure we don't cause any problems? When we become a problem they glass us, until then they keep a "safe" distance and then send in section 31 or some other CIA type organisation to sort us out. I believe that's the points made so far?
Deep and Kendall et al have the argument I believe.

So deep do you mind if we call you part of section 31 now and get over all the current names we have for your organistaion and give you your proper title, Sloane :)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!