Could the UFP conquer modern day Earth?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Could the UFP conquer modern day Earth?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Better late than never, I guess.
The UFP could do the following without any resistance from modern Earth forces:

1. Destroy any military base on the planet
2. Sink any ship at sea
3. Destroy any tank, fighting vehicle, supply truck that they can see
4. Abduct world leaders (using the transporter)
4a. The leaders who catch on might hide, but even then they would essentially be a government in exile
5. Destroy the satellite network
6. Target any gathering of troops, disperse any organized resistance.
7. Destroy military aircraft
Agree with everything but 3, 4 and 6.
Any forces in urban areas could not be targeted without causing casualties among the civilian populace. The UFP would never intentionaly start bombing cities. Also, given that simple electrical transformers can stop transporters from working, I doubt the effectiveness of a transporter in an urban environment, which would suggest that most governments would not be abducted.
Within 72 hours I expect that most of the governments on Earth would have either surrendered, or had their conventional military completely wiped out. Leading to the end of organized resistance, with the exception of bands of soldiers who don't comply with the surrender agreement, freedom fighters, etc.
Actualy, it's far more likely that military commanders would order their forces to withdraw to the safety of their cities and towns, which they then begin fortifying against any attacks.

1. UFP has a large population of Humans, who can merge with the groups of refugees that will inevitably form. They will keep an ear out people who are part of the resistance. Any who are, get beamed to "reeducation camps"
Yeah, bullshit. These Fed infiltrators would need to learn quite a bit of Earth history, culture, economics, certain languages and way of life. Any idea how long that'd take?
Oh, and need I point out that virtualy every insurgency in human history has been fought with exactly those tactics? Need I also point out how utterly useless they were at stopping them in many cases?
2.Any ground fighting that does occur will see the UFP forces supported by overwhelming firepower from shuttles and star ships. Troops that are in trouble could be beamed away, troops can be beamed into strategic positions to engage the enemy. The UFP is more mobile than anything modern Earth has ever seen, they can pick their fights and concentrate their forces to ensure victory.
Incorrect, on virtualy every count.
Any ground fighting would occur in heavily fortified cities. That means that the UFP cannot pick their fights, the defenders are choosing where the battle takes place.
Electrical transformers, and hell, probably standard military ECM, would render transporters useless, forcing them to beam down outside the city and advance on foot.

While you're right that the UFP is certainly more mobile than modern armies, that's only an advantage to certain extents.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Electrical transformers, and hell, probably standard military ECM, would render transporters useless, forcing them to beam down outside the city and advance on foot.
We have seen people beam up and down from "modern" cities many times.

When Voyager got thrown back in time they beamed people up and down multiple times. And that is in the exact senario your talking about.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Military EW (the ground based stuff) isn't that powerful anyways, it's designed to counter radios and kit whose power output rarely exceeds three digits.
Deepcrush wrote: It all depends on the mission. You could of course blow the front door off the hinges, then while everyone is focused there. You use an IR scope to place a .50 cal round through the wall, through the target then through the next wall.
I think you've seen Navy Seals one to many times. ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Even if we were inclined to agree with points 1 -7 which SteveK made, those are great for destroying the enemy war machine - not so much for directly conquering and occupying the planet.
SteveK wrote:1. UFP has a large population of Humans, who can merge with the groups of refugees that will inevitably form. They will keep an ear out people who are part of the resistance. Any who are, get beamed to "reeducation camps"
The great big touchy-feely, new-age, happy-hippie Federation would never consider something like that. Until the depths of the DW, they never even considered espionage of any kind.
SteveK wrote:2. Any ground fighting that does occur will see the UFP forces supported by overwhelming firepower from shuttles and star ships. Troops that are in trouble could be beamed away, troops can be beamed into strategic positions to engage the enemy. The UFP is more mobile than anything modern Earth has ever seen, they can pick their fights and concentrate their forces to ensure victory.
Right, because we've seen such support for infantry so many times, even when we've seen infantry in need of such support. Oh, wait, we haven't. That means one of two things - either they can't, or they won't. Either way, such support will not exist.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Question: While this is an intriguing debate, wouldn't why they were fighting perhaps count for something in the Feds effort? So, why are Modern Day Earth and the UFP going to war? What is the motivation? Odds are they'd leave us alone as we are pre-warp and that'd be it. Which render 's this whole argument moot.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, obviously we wouldn't fight really. But that's not the point of this debate. The point is "could the UFP occupy Earth". Saying "well, they wouldn't fight in the first place" just avoids the question.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Hypothetically, say we had some sort of magic radiation in our atmosphere that makes Federation citizens' sex lives better or something. They want to harvest said radiation with a gigantic collector, but they have to move us all first. :wink:

That'd lead to a fight.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Hypothetically, say we had some sort of magic radiation in our atmosphere that makes Federation citizens' sex lives better or something. They want to harvest said radiation with a gigantic collector, but they have to move us all first. :wink:

That'd lead to a fight.
Come on, we'd never see such a ridiculous premise in Star Trek.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Military EW (the ground based stuff) isn't that powerful anyways, it's designed to counter radios and kit whose power output rarely exceeds three digits.
Deepcrush wrote: It all depends on the mission. You could of course blow the front door off the hinges, then while everyone is focused there. You use an IR scope to place a .50 cal round through the wall, through the target then through the next wall.
I think you've seen Navy Seals one to many times. ;)
Did they use IRs in Navy Seals? I remember that movie if for only how much my brother made fun of it. Plus I liked all the shooting.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Hypothetically, say we had some sort of magic radiation in our atmosphere that makes Federation citizens' sex lives better or something. They want to harvest said radiation with a gigantic collector, but they have to move us all first. :wink:

That'd lead to a fight.
Come on, we'd never see such a ridiculous premise in Star Trek.
Of course not. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Of course not. :lol:
That's a pretty good answer for the thread topic...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Deepcrush wrote:
Did they use IRs in Navy Seals? I remember that movie if for only how much my brother made fun of it. Plus I liked all the shooting.
Yeah, the sniper (Bill Paxton) had a magic thermal sight on his .50 cal. :roll:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Weird, I thought it was a NVG. I need to watch that movie again and refresh my memory.