Book: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Book: Titan: Over a Torrent Sea

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Wait........Titan book one takes place before or after the events of Destiny?
Book One? "Taking Wing"? Before. It directly follows Nemesis.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Has this book just come out, because I haven't seen it in our libraries yet.
Although, being in the Frenchie part of Canada, that could explain it... :mrgreen:

Also, I semi-like the books.
I loved the first one, with the political intrigue and then the all out battles, liked the second a little bit less, liked Orion's Hounds very much, but I agree the fourth one wasn't as interesting.
What I love about those books is that we get to see new races, and the Luna-class is a nice ship, and we get to meet old friends again.
I've always loved Riker, his sense of humor, his lack of patience when compared to Picard.
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

me,myself and I wrote:
Mark wrote:Wait........Titan book one takes place before or after the events of Destiny?
Book One? "Taking Wing"? Before. It directly follows Nemesis.
And they progress thereafter... the last one takes place after the events in A Singular Destiny.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

The next Titan book coming out this year is Synthesis. But back on topic, this is another great book with lots of real science in it (Ocean Planets are possible).
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I love that the Squales have to invent a new word for nonliving tools. And their baby space capsule, too.
CaptainQuantum
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by CaptainQuantum »

Just finished this one. Bennett's first Titan book, Orion's Hounds, was a pretty hard act to follow, and this doesn't quite measure up. Still a worthwhile read. This guy does science fiction with the emphasis on science, which is no bad thing. He obviously did a lot of reading on marine biology and I found his marine ecosystem highly realistic (not that I know anything about marine biology) and really fascinating. The plot on the other hand was a bit underwhelming. Crew explores planet, discovers senient life, tries and fails to divert asteroid strike, has to convince said senient life to allow them to fix planet. It all felt a bit straightforward and predictable. The B plot seemed to me a bit hard to believe and was too easily resolved. Still I am impressed with Bennett's writing and look forward to his next work.

Oh, and can we get an entry for this in the book reviews, so I don't have to post this here?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

CaptainQuantum wrote:Just finished this one. Bennett's first Titan book, Orion's Hounds, was a pretty hard act to follow, and this doesn't quite measure up. Still a worthwhile read. This guy does science fiction with the emphasis on science, which is no bad thing. He obviously did a lot of reading on marine biology and I found his marine ecosystem highly realistic (not that I know anything about marine biology) and really fascinating. The plot on the other hand was a bit underwhelming. Crew explores planet, discovers senient life, tries and fails to divert asteroid strike, has to convince said senient life to allow them to fix planet. It all felt a bit straightforward and predictable. The B plot seemed to me a bit hard to believe and was too easily resolved. Still I am impressed with Bennett's writing and look forward to his next work.

Oh, and can we get an entry for this in the book reviews, so I don't have to post this here?
See, I thought this was much smoother of a read than Orion's Hounds. I like Bennett along w/ every other active Trek writer next to Voornhold. I agree with everything else you said, for the most part, though.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?