Star Trek: The New Voyages

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Star Trek: The New Voyages

Post by Bryan Moore »

Has anyone watched this online fan series? Great premise, continuing with the Original Series, and pretty awesome of Denise Crosby, George Takei, etc to show up and help. I actually appreciate the whole idea of a fan series and what it's doing. The budget is low, but who cares. But my GOD, that may be some of the worst acting I have EVER watched. I swear, our high school drama club could do better. I hate to criticize, because I LOVE the idea of this, but my enjoyment of the series goes out the window witht he acting.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah bad acting can kill just about anything.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Is this the one where the Captain has the Elvis hair cut?
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah pretty much. Worst wig ever.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Seen one episode. Liked it. Didn't notice the acting that much.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Seen one episode. Liked it. Didn't notice the acting that much.
Then you, sir, are a better man than I. The only thing that could have made it worse is if they delivered a good line, then looked right at the camera.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

My former brother in law bought the DVD of their first episode and showed it at a family gathering. For some reason he thought because it was ST that I would like it. I thought it was pretty cheesy. I don't plan on watching any more of the episodes. They did a pretty decent job of recreating the sets though.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah there's definitely some positives. And the concept is great. I just wish there was more on screen talent.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought it was okay, like others have said, the acting could do with serious improvement.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hmm. I didn't know they were selling DVDs of it, Kendall.

I'm not sure if I'm a better man than you are, Brian. :p I just don't remember the acting too much. If I see another episode, my opinion will probably change.
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

The acting among the main cast isn't supergood, but in the last installment ("World Enough and Time") it wasn't ultra-terrible. The guests generally make up for it.

In any case, it's still a good show, especially for what it is. The aforementioned last installment was extremely good, ranking well above much of the 'rest of' TOS story-wise. The production values were very high, and the effects were generally better than CBS Digital's . . . occasionally on par, occasionally much better.

It's definitely something not to miss, just on principle.