Star Trek: Destiny

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Star Trek: Destiny

Post by Mark »

I have to admit, I'm almost done with book one, and I'm kind of digging it. This is my re-introduction to Trek novels, aside from Peter Davids stuff. Thoughts?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I haven't heard of it. Any good?

*boots over to Books*
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I haven't heard of it. Any good?

*boots over to Books*
It has an actual Borg Invasion (with 7461 Cubes). In Chapter 11, we read about several battles taking place at the same time. The Borg are also sterilizing planets instead of assimilating them.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
cbosdell
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by cbosdell »

I read them alll back in December and they are great! I read the first two in one sitting and impatiently waited for the third one to arrive!

I don't care if they are "canon" or not they are in my personal continuity as well as most of the newer novels (TNG-Relaunch, DS9-Relaunch, VOY-Relaunch, Titan, A Time to... Series, ENT-Relaunch, Vanguard, Imzadi, Article of the Federation, and the Mirror Universe series). Most of the naysayers against the novels haven't read them and just don't care too because they aren't canon. But really, who cares?
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I think these three are amoung the finest trek novels out there. Well written characters are mostly spot on and the cocept is soild and most of all the borg are given some of there mence back.
Genius insania et conseri manum
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

USS Aeon wrote:I think these three are amoung the finest trek novels out there. Well written characters are mostly spot on and the cocept is soild and most of all the borg are given some of there mence back.
The Borg apparently reattched their balls after Endgame.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

After the loss of the Queen, the Borg got dangerous again. Anyone ELSE see any real life parallels? :lol:
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

JudgeKing wrote: It has an actual Borg Invasion (with 7461 Cubes).
Haven't read the books but a Borg Invasion with 7461 Cubes? Why am I thinking Yuuzhan Vong Invasion here?
...the borg are given some of there mence back.
How so? Because each and every cube is as invulnerable as in Best of Both Worlds or just because there are 7461 of them around? If the former I dread to think of how much deus ex machina is needed for this one. :bangwall:

I think I give it a pass. The borg were great villains in TNG and had one fine final moment in First Contact but to be honest since then they just do not interest me anymore. And having a UFP which is more or less permanently at war with someone....just doesn't interest me neither.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Atekimogus wrote:
JudgeKing wrote: It has an actual Borg Invasion (with 7461 Cubes).
Haven't read the books but a Borg Invasion with 7461 Cubes? Why am I thinking Yuuzhan Vong Invasion here?
...the borg are given some of there mence back.
How so? Because each and every cube is as invulnerable as in Best of Both Worlds or just because there are 7461 of them around? If the former I dread to think of how much deus ex machina is needed for this one. :bangwall:

I think I give it a pass. The borg were great villains in TNG and had one fine final moment in First Contact but to be honest since then they just do not interest me anymore. And having a UFP which is more or less permanently at war with someone....just doesn't interest me neither.
I'll give you a hint, the whole invasions lasts a a few hours. A whole metric fuckton of Xanatos Gambles and numerous transphasic torpedoes are also required to solve the problem, though the Borg get liberated by the captain of the NX-02 who as it turns out was alive for over 800 years after accidentally meeting an advanced, yet reclusive race known as the Caeliar. Her crew get fed up and they attempted to create a wormhole back to Earth, however they ended up blowing up the planet's star in the process. Three of the Caeliar's cityships escaped as well as the Columbia. The people on the Columbia were incinerated by the radiation, the cityship Axion went back in time to 1518. The cityship Mantillis went back in time to 4527 BCE, and Kintana went back in time to somewhere just after the Big Bang.

In 2381, the Borg discovered a subspace tunnel in the Delta Quadrant that led directly to the Azure Nebula. The Collective used this tunnel to send an invasion force into the Alpha and Beta Quadrants with the goal of eradicating humanity and any other races that stood between the Borg and total galactic domination. Initial incursions were defended by the USS Excalibur and the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, these were minor skirmishes compared to what was to come. Anticipating a larger Borg invasion, Captain Picard asked that the Federation send as many ships as possible to the subspace terminus in the Azure Nebula. President Bacco negotiated for reinforcements from the Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire and Imperial Romulan State, Cardassian Union, Ferengi Alliance, the Tamarian Empire, and (through the Ferengi), Breen mercenary forces. Before the allied forces could traverse the subspace passage and make their own assault, a force of over 7461 Borg Cubes attacked and destroyed the allied fleet that had assembled. Although the Federation was initially able to defend against the Borg attacks into Federation space using transphasic torpedoes, the Borg eventually adapted to the torpedo. However, the Federation starships USS Enterprise-E, USS Aventine and USS Titan, managed to convince the extremely powerful Caeliar to dissolve the Borg Collective and halt the invasion. As a result of this, all of the former drones were absorbed into the Caeliar gestalt, the residual implants in Seven of Nine disappeared and the remnants of Locutus in Jean-Luc Picard were removed from his psyche. During the conflict, Borg Cubes decimated entire worlds, including Acamar III, Deneva, Qo'nos and Khitomer. The invasion attempt cost of 63 billion deaths and the fallout led to drastic changes in the political nature of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, including an expansion of the Khitomer Accords and the formation of the Typhon Pact.(ST - Destiny novel: Mere Mortals) (ST novel: A Singular Destiny)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well thank you for the write-up.

My first reaction was a sad "Lol...seriously?" but then I realized that at least it's not canon and therefore - unlike Enterprise - much easier to dismiss.

I mean really who writes this stuff? It really sounds more like something I would expect from a black library novel, doesn't sound like star trek at all but maybe thats just good ol'e me not getting the kick out of galaxy wide destruction and mayhem etc.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sounds purely horrible.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Don't forget when Picard collapses crying on the bridge. That was fun.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Don't forget when Picard collapses crying on the bridge. That was fun.
They were out of Earl Grey?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mark wrote:Don't forget when Picard collapses crying on the bridge. That was fun.
They were out of Earl Grey?
Want me to type down that scene from the book?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sure. :)

Just remember to use the new spoiler feature in case anyone wants to read it.