Borg invasion

Trek Books, Games and General chat
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Borg invasion

Post by SomosFuga »

Teaos wrote:Considering it is a group of three and its called TRI-cobolt, we can even assume a tricobolt is three bits working together.
It is tricobalt torpedo, tricobalt device or what? Because if they say "device" then i'm ok with this theory but if the cannon says "torpedo" then should be a single torpedo and the world tricobalt could be the type of warhead like a nuke or plasma.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Except that the images clearly show three (or more) separate bits to the "torpedo" (or device). Perhaps it's a cluster of smaller torpedoes that react together on impact.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Ok, the images clearly show at least three separate bits but my question remains: in the dialogue do they say tricobalt torpedo, tricobalt device or what? because if they say "torpedo" then it should be a single thing but if they say "device" then could be pretty much anything
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

SomosFuga wrote:Ok, the images clearly show at least three separate bits but my question remains: in the dialogue do they say tricobalt torpedo, tricobalt device or what? because if they say "torpedo" then it should be a single thing but if they say "device" then could be pretty much anything
I mean this in the nicest way, but I think you're nit picking. Torpedo, device, I don't think the exact wording is going to change that it is clearly a triple component weapon. For the sake of arguement though, it could be a torpedo and still be three seperate bits, the torpedo could be a single piece while in storage and even in the tubes, but once launched breaks into the three seperate pieces we see.

I can't actually say what the extact wording is though, sorry.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think they did say "device," but I'm not positive.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

They said "device" in VOY every time they mentioned it, never torpedo.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Lighthawk wrote:The dominion would crush a single borg cube. Not only do they have a dedicated and genetically engineered race of warriors, but they have MASSIVE numbers. The only reason the combined might of the major powers of the alpha/beta quadrent even stood a chance was that that DS9 blockaded the only route to their space. The dominion is several times bigger than all the major and minor space powers we've come to know in trek except for the borg themselves.
I think you are right here, the dominion have massive numbers and very quickly replaceable troops and ships, plus they have some pretty large ships too.

The dominion energy weapons, transporters and even the jemhadar went through fed shields with no problem till they captured and reverse enginered 1 of their attack ships, similar effect might be expected for borg shielding, of course the borg probably will adapt way faster and without capturing a ship but still, the jemhadar have a window of opportunity to make heavy damage to the cube before that. I imagine a couple of those heavy battleships from ep Valiant, several cruisers and small attack ships by the dozens (at least) arround the cube firing and even ramming the cube (without effective shielding that would be messy) until the borg addapt, but by that point there are a few thousands of jemhadars aboard the cube and maybe borg drones aboard several jemhadar ships trying to figure out how they pass their shields, looking for weaknesses and/or assimilating as fast as they can.