Oberth Class Opinion Thread

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Oberth Class Opinion Thread

Post by Bryan Moore »

We see them more than just about any other type of ship in TNG, and having been around nearly 100 years, they must have proved their usefulness. On the other hand, when we see them, they're usually destroyed/damaged/in trouble.

I actually like the idea of small ships that seem really easy to pump out like that. Moreover, I like the idea that they are small craft meant to study a single system, etc. It seems logical to have them.

I would go one step further to offer that it could be used as a planetary defense craft/gun ship if the bottom pod (which according to Ex-Astris Scientia is engineering, sensor, probe, misc. science equipment) was switched out with a torpedo system, you've got a nice little craft. Hell, take the warp core out, gut it down to a crew of ten, and let it serve as a non-warp capable gun platform defending remote outposts. I would think it would be remarkably inexpensive to produce.

Here's a good article on it to aid discussion:

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/star ... oberth.htm
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

They're unusual for Starfleet in that they're dedicated science vessels, rather than science/exploration/diplomatic/warships. I like them - they've got the kit they need to do their jobs, with no extraneous junk. Starfleet should have a lot more single-mission designs like the Oberth.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.