Population of the Federation

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Cyd
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Cyd »

JudgeKing wrote:The Federation's population is atleast 1. I'm guessing 8-12 trillion individuals that are waiting to be assimilated by the Collective.
Do you mean Datas statement on how many drones were on Earth in First Contact? They were assimilated in the 2060's, the Borg would only make new drones as they needed them, so we can't be sure if that right.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

How would Data be able to tell? At the very least, sensors can't detect what's on the other side of the planet... If they were over North America, the bulk of the world's landmass would be out of bounds for Enterprise's sensors and she wouldn't have been able to detect anything on them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe the sensors bounced off the satilite.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

What satellite? Long range sensors were offline, so Hawke couldn't even tell where the Borg sphere had been firing. I find it doubtful they would have been able to scan the planet for any life forms, let alone those outside the line of sight.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That was after they'd passed through the vortex. Data gave the population of Earth (nine billion, all Borg) after the sphere went into the past but before the Enterprise followed it. That number actually seems very small, given the way the Borg 'live' packed shoulder to shoulder, so it may only have been the North American continent facing the Enterprise, or some other fraction of the planet.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

The Borg's population is purely industrial or military. I think most of their population lives on cubes or were transfered to huge complexes such as a Transwarp hub (which that part of the galaxy could use) and the Unimatrix.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Captain Seafort wrote:That was after they'd passed through the vortex. Data gave the population of Earth (nine billion, all Borg) after the sphere went into the past but before the Enterprise followed it. That number actually seems very small, given the way the Borg 'live' packed shoulder to shoulder, so it may only have been the North American continent facing the Enterprise, or some other fraction of the planet.
That seems quite reasonable.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Cyd wrote:
JudgeKing wrote:The Federation's population is atleast 1. I'm guessing 8-12 trillion individuals that are waiting to be assimilated by the Collective.
Do you mean Datas statement on how many drones were on Earth in First Contact? They were assimilated in the 2060's, the Borg would only make new drones as they needed them, so we can't be sure if that right.
I was being funny with the whole waiting to be assimilated by the Collective thing.