I suppose you got wind of my attitude by now... :oops:
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Best Mix-Match Crew

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I've never actually seen TOS except for maybe a few random episodes here and there.
I grew up with TNG, Picard and the 1701-D
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You're really missing out. TOS was Trek with IQ. Though they gained some of it back with DS9, it just wasn't the same.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've never actually seen TOS except for maybe a few random episodes here and there
You should look out for some more. The effects are cheesey as hell compared to other series, but the plots and characters were excelent.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Some of the plots and characters were as cheesey as hell, too. :lol:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, but it was still great fun. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Meh. It was Alright. Personally i found TOS a bit....bland.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

That's what i thought, based on the show's i'd seen, but everyone here's been talking about it like it was the end-all, be-all of the ST franchise so i thought maybe i'd missed something.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thats because it was the original i think. and alot seem to like Kirk. I hate him personally, at least early kirk. TWOK onward, he was ok.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lt. Staplic wrote:That's what i thought, based on the show's i'd seen, but everyone here's been talking about it like it was the end-all, be-all of the ST franchise so i thought maybe i'd missed something.
To an extent it is the be-all and end-all. Without TOS there would be Trek.

As for the quality, while there's some dross in there, there's also gems like "Balance of Terror", "The Corbomite Manoeuvre", "Obsession", "City on the Edge of Forever", "The Trouble with Tribbles", "A Piece of the Action", etc. It's also got a proper economy, a non-schizophrenic Starfleet, and no GCS. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I'm a convert... I used to hate TOS like many on here, but I watched a few episodes (watch at least 3, all the way through - no other distractions), and you really do get into it. If you make an effort to start liking it, you will continue to like it and watch it casually.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

then there's the problem that i don't get th channels that shw TOS, Sci-fi shows TNG and ENT, and Spike shows VOY and DS9, but no TOS
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Youtube.com carries a lot of eps. So do some private sites if you can find them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

dial up :bangwall: = defective web vids. :cry:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Deepcrush wrote:You're really missing out. TOS was Trek with IQ. Though they gained some of it back with DS9, it just wasn't the same.
Honestly, I think it's so incredibly campy and dated that I have trouble appreciating the so-called "IQ" I appreciate the thoughts behind it and certainly the messages, but they were so blatantly obvious that they lost their charm many times. There were a lot of amazing episodes, but there never seemed to be a middle ground. If it wasn't great, it was absolute trash.

Now that being said, keeping this on topic, I do believe the crew had a dynamic that worked so wonderfully together, that anyone saying they'd just take the TOS crew would have a great argument. I only wish we saw 7 seasons of them.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?