Best Mix-Match Crew

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Best Mix-Match Crew

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:dial up :bangwall: = defective web vids. :cry:
cbs.com has the full epsidoes (not the remaster versions though AFAIK).
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Bryan - some of the issues presented in TOS do indeed seem cliched or even somewhat irrelevant, but one has to remember that he is watching a 1960's show through 2008 eyes. Even if the issues they faced are no longer issues, the application of their solutions and their reactions are what stands up.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

me,myself and I wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:dial up :bangwall: = defective web vids. :cry:
cbs.com has the full epsidoes (not the remaster versions though AFAIK).
no, it's the loading of the video that screws me,the connection is to slow to effectively load and process the video, it will work for a while but then the modem gets overloaded and closes the entire browser.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thorin wrote:Some of the plots and characters were as cheesey as hell, too. :lol:
I have three little words for you

"Hippies in Space"
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:Bryan - some of the issues presented in TOS do indeed seem cliched or even somewhat irrelevant, but one has to remember that he is watching a 1960's show through 2008 eyes. Even if the issues they faced are no longer issues, the application of their solutions and their reactions are what stands up.
It's more the blatant obviousness of the whole thing. I mean, c'mon... the folks from Charon representing black/white tensions. OMG, GTFO, NO WAY! The issues themselves arent' cliched, but how they were presented were so cheezeball and lacked the subtlety of some of the other series.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Again, I have to refer to the paradigm of the time. TOS was groundbreaking for using such obvious references. Using such blatant analogies may look cheesy now, but at the time you were comparing it with shows which made no such references AT ALL. You had an audience with no inbuilt mechanism to decode more subtle references.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

true, but that is what makes it hard for the newer generations to get hooked on the show, it's too blatently obvious, and turns us off from the show b/c there's no mystery or plot to us who can read the cues.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Many viewers seeing it for the first time today take those issues for granted. Like Kirk and Uhura kissing. Many don't realize just what the first black/white kiss on TV represented.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And since we cant look at it and remember it being ground breaking it is just another scene with no real intrest.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Like Kirk and Uhura kissing. Many don't realize just what the first black/white kiss on TV represented.
Actualy, several other TV shows had black and white people kissing before Trek. Though at the time it was still highly unusual to see, and as such it doesn't lose any of its importance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:
Like Kirk and Uhura kissing. Many don't realize just what the first black/white kiss on TV represented.
Actualy, several other TV shows had black and white people kissing before Trek. Though at the time it was still highly unusual to see, and as such it doesn't lose any of its importance.
Really??? I thought Trek was credited with the first interracial kiss on TV???
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In the US it was but not world wide I dont think.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Correct. Trek is often credited with being the first one, but in reality it isn't. I'll try and find which series can actualy claim that in a few minutes.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Correct. Trek is often credited with being the first one, but in reality it isn't. I'll try and find which series can actualy claim that in a few minutes.
A thousand apologizies for necroing this old thread, but I can't help it...

So Sion, you managed to track that series down yet, or do you still need a few more "minutes"?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »