Star-trek Online

Trek Books, Games and General chat
CluckyB
Petty officer third class

Star-trek Online

Post by CluckyB »

For those who do not know, Star-trek Online is an upcomming MMORPG (like World of Warcraft) set in a Trek environment.

I am not sure whether or not to get excited about this game. Putting the life as a star-trek crew member into a online game like could be very good or very disappointing. The concept of playing the role of a hero in some fantasy world is a very easy one to turn into a role playing game. The concept of a crewman aboard a starship... not so much. It will be interesting to see if they manage to make the game both fun an interesting yet consistent with a trek world. It is a very tough challenge, and will be a very good game if they do it right, I just don't want to get my hopes up in case they wind up failing.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I don't see it becoming popular but it does fill a niche in the gaming community. There are people who want to play that kind of RPG and its been a few years since a good Sci-Fi one came out.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i'm looking forward to being a blue shirt, but i have to say, i have a low opinion of star trek games in general. perhaps its a problem with my own perception, but i haven't really met one i liked yet.

nonetheless, it could be very disappointing to be running diagnostics all day on a ship. or being on a ship where nobody logs on with any regularity.
CluckyB

Post by CluckyB »

That exactly the problem I see. Much of actual trek is very dull and monotonous work. Would they be able to keep it exciting yet keep the trek feeling? Will away missions simply be one of five different style missions that, after doing a couple, simply become boring repetitions?

As for being on a ship that no one longs on, its my understanding that crews are more of a one time thing. Instead of being put on a crew, when you are playing you find a ship that needs someone with your skills and then take a mission. A group of players can play together under the same ship, but you are not put on a ship and stuck there. You have the oppertunity to float from ship to ship if you want to.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personally I'm rather pesimistic. There are a few good Trek games out there, but most are pretty poor. I hope they manage to make a good game, its been ages since I've seen a sci-fi RPG.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I doubt it will be good. It will have a very limited but very loyal following. With a limited budget I'll doubt it will be very good. Would need to be so vast. The fact that the Federation is peaceful while this will probably have a lot of violence is also a negative.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

If and that's a VERY big if, this is any good, I could genuinely see my self wasting hours at this.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Oh if it's good I'm going to be wasting a lot of time soon.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Teaos wrote:Oh if it's good I'm going to be wasting a lot of time soon.
why, when's it coming out? its been announced for quite some time now...