Sexuality in Trek

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

would anyone(aside from the obvious groups) really be that bothered, if picard were into man-love?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Picard isn't gay, he was in love with Crusher for virtually all his adult life.

Patrick Stewart is the chancellor of my local university and comes from my hometown.
And yes, I have spoken to him a few times at the university!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Thorin wrote:Patrick Stewart is the chancellor of my local university and comes from my hometown.
Dude, that is awesome! Lucky maggot. Was he nice?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

would anyone(aside from the obvious groups) really be that bothered, if picard were into man-love?
Personaly, I really don't care about his sexual intrests. I'm just surprised at it.

What's he like?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Granitehewer wrote:would anyone(aside from the obvious groups) really be that bothered, if picard were into man-love?
As a 100% hetero male... I do not care who is what. You are what you are and that's all you can be.

However... I am a very sarcastic and open jokester... if you can't take jokes about what you are (whatever that might be (eye color, nose size, race, religion, sexual, etc etc etc)) don't come around me...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

ditto, i'm 100% hetero, and tend to like to break taboos and have a laugh and tease about off-topics, but its all well meant and noone gets offended usually :-0
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Granitehewer wrote:ditto, i'm 100% hetero, and tend to like to break taboos and have a laugh and tease about off-topics, but its all well meant and noone gets offended usually :-0
I always say that no one and no thing is safe. Even myself. If a joke can be made... go for it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You guys are right. If you want to make jokes about the freakishly enormous size of my manhood, go ahead. I'm not too sensitive to take it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:You guys are right. If you want to make jokes about the freakishly enormous size of my manhood, go ahead. I'm not too sensitive to take it.
No no... that's centimeters, not inches...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You see - there's a reason the US hasn't gone metric yet!
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Thorin wrote:Patrick Stewart is the chancellor of my local university and comes from my hometown.
Dude, that is awesome! Lucky maggot. Was he nice?
Yeah he was great - he even uses his voice for the adverts for the University of Huddersfield [which is where he is chancellor/where I live].
The thing that struck me is that how much older he looks - I mean I still think of him as around 50 from ST, but he's well into his 60s now, and the fact that he has a little bit of white hair whereas we're using to seeing him completely bald was strange. I've seen him a few times in the admin areas and in the performing arts department (don't ask what I was doing there). He's very nice and just really chats with everyone who walks past, he asked if I was checking out the drama department (I was there at an open day), and a little starstruck I just said yes [bearing in mind I do physics, maths, and geology].

It's also interesting to know he's a supporter of Huddersfield Town football club, but I've never seen him there, though some of my friends have.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Coincidentally, I grew up in the part of New Jersey which contains the main campus of Rutgers University, at which Avery Brooks worked on and off for a while. The house in which I grew up was about 2-1/2 blocks from his. He also performed a great deal at RU, winning awards for his portrayal of Paul Robeson, and I had the chance to see him in the title role of Othello (with Andre Braugher as a black Iago, who was also brilliant.) Brooks' stage presence is so phenomenal that when a transformer fire put out the electricity, he was able to complete an entire monologue with no microphones or PA, and nothing on but the emergency lights - and he still filled the entire theater in the process.

Some time later, I actually encountered him shopping with his daughter at the record store where I worked. After asking him if he needed any assistance, I mentioned that I was a fan of his, and I really enjoyed his performance in Othello. He actually seemed a little relieved that I didn't say DS9 or Spenser fro Hire, but was in fact a very soft-spoken and friendly man, and we spent at least half an hour chatting about Shakespeare, the old neighborhood, and a bunch of other things.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

those ace my celebrity story, by far, my only claim is fame is that when i tried to photograph st Peter's basillica, it coinicided with a presidential motorade and the great Bill Clinton waved at me...obviously unaware that he was in the bloody way of my photo-opportunity lol
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey, I have only one thing to say.

Picard > Sisko.

:wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thorin wrote:Mikey, I have only one thing to say.

Picard > Sisko.
OK... I guess in bizarro-world that has some relevance...

I was simply sharing an anecdote, as you were. Nobody is deriding your accomplishments, so no need to be defensive.
as Bull offed Custer