Sexuality in Trek

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I know they're not canon, but a lot of the novels have gay characters. Bart Faulwell from the SCE series comes to mind, as well as a Vulcan security officer from the Vanguard series.
And Keeru (sp) from Titan.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bryan Moore wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I know they're not canon, but a lot of the novels have gay characters. Bart Faulwell from the SCE series comes to mind, as well as a Vulcan security officer from the Vanguard series.
Right, thanks. :) And IIRC, he was the one in the relationship with Ethan Hawke!
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Alot of the characters could be gay, but simply their relationships not shown, maybe starfleet like any military is one of the last bastions of conservatism, so to be a gay ensign etc would unofficially cause ruptions.
Although i like the idea of a ravenousily gay klingon ''today is a good day to...oh...my...god......look at his bat'leth.....its so second empire.....did his mother buy him it from a romulan....like duh''
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
Right, thanks. :) And IIRC, he was the one in the relationship with Ethan Hawke!
Correct, which makes for an interesting bit of subplot, in his dislike of Picard/Worf for killing Hawk. Though I don't believe it was Ethan Hawke :lol:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Bryan Moore wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote: And Keeru (sp) from Titan.
Correct, which makes for an interesting bit of subplot, in his dislike of Picard/Worf for killing Hawk. Though I don't believe it was Ethan Hawke :lol:
*Snaps fingers* You're correct, Brian. Ranul Keru was in a relationship with Sean Hawk. Thanks for the correction.
Rho
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Rho »

I like to think that they're enlightened enough in the 24th century simply not to consider sexuality interesting enough to talk about in any great detail. Perhaps it's more interesting leaving the sexuality of the characters a little ambiguous anyway. For example: Take that episode where Riker becomes infatuated with a sexless alien accused of being overly-female. The 'moral' of that episode seemed to be that rather than enforcing a neutrality or uniformity of the sexes, it's actually 'more enlightened' to simply ignore the whole isue of sexuality alltogether and just let the characters get on with it.

(Personally I always thought Riker was bi-sexual. Simply because I can't see him saying 'no' to -anything-.)
I'm Rho, not Ro.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

While TOS pushed some buttons (first interatial kiss on network TV I believe. Go Kirk.) the later Treks really seem to shy away from hot issues. So no homosexuality references, letting people believe it's simply accepted or "cured" whatever they like.

They also have an interesting take on religion. They won't touch a human religion with a ten foot pole. But in Voyager they seem to show that the Klingon afterlife is very real. Some other races get to have afterlifes in some form.

But they certainly refer to sex a number of times. And "the outragrous Okana" or whatever that episode was we learn that transporter room chicks are easy.

Personally though I would like to see a later series or movie where they go to a planet last visited in TOS only to find that a significant portion of the aliens there bear a striking resemblance to a certain starfleet captain.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Granitehewer wrote:Alot of the characters could be gay, but simply their relationships not shown, maybe starfleet like any military is one of the last bastions of conservatism, so to be a gay ensign etc would unofficially cause ruptions.
Although i like the idea of a ravenousily gay klingon ''today is a good day to...oh...my...god......look at his bat'leth.....its so second empire.....did his mother buy him it from a romulan....like duh''
Gay Klingons would probably just be like normal humans are :P

edit: normal = straight >.>
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

With species that probably have more than one gender, or with only one, homosexuality is probably not that 'out there' for lack of a better term.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

There was one TNG episode where Riker has a relationship with a member of a species who are gender neutral, but some secretly lean towards been one sex or the other. The "deviant" is caught, and re-educated at the end of the episode. It was a fairly clumsy allegorical story calling for respect and equality for homosexuals. (At least, that was my interpretation)
Having recently been watching late night TOS reruns, it has struck me how much braver the old episodes where compared to the later corporate cash cows in PC clothing Treks.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Let's not forget the episode in TNG where Dr. Crusher falls in love with a Trill (the ones without the spots like Dax) ambassador. The host is male throughout much of the episode, then the host died for some reason I forgot and the symbiote was transferred to Riker for the talks. The next host for the symbiote was female, and obviously unnerved Dr. Crusher. When the transfer was complete, the Trill still loved Crusher, but she really wasn't able to return "their" affection. I think she said something like," I still love you. Maybe when our species evolves beyond being able to love just one gender..." or something like that.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

That seems like canonic proof that homosexuality has been 'cured' :P

Seriously though I hope there's a gay person in the next star trek. Probably should be female to help with ratings but there should be at least one.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

It brings up the question about Picard. There are those who insist Patrick Stewart is homosexual, which could then be argued that Picard was at least bisexual. Not sure if I agree with this theory, but it does exist.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Really? I've honestly never heard of that before. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"