Re: Are Vulcans the best Ambassadors?

Post by Reliant121 »

Ain't that the truth Tsuki -.-'
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:I dont think they would make good ambassidors for the Federation since they dont represent the largest proportion of them.
Since there are 150+ member races in the Federation, in principle* any one of them should make up a rather small proportion anyway. Theoretically, each race should finding itself moving into the areas where it performs best; whoever makes the best diplomats will become diplomats.

* Remember, we're considering here what would happen in real life. Humans wouldn't outnumber 150 other races combined 10 to 1.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:...if they're flexable enough they may be able to pull it off.
T'Pol looked pretty flexible.
rofl!
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Teaos wrote:I dont think they would make good ambassidors for the Federation since they dont represent the largest proportion of them.
Since there are 150+ member races in the Federation, in principle* any one of them should make up a rather small proportion anyway. Theoretically, each race should finding itself moving into the areas where it performs best; whoever makes the best diplomats will become diplomats.

* Remember, we're considering here what would happen in real life. Humans wouldn't outnumber 150 other races combined 10 to 1.
I think the 148 other races besides the humans and vulcans are all free loaders.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

To races who knew of the Vulcans, particularly their fairness and honesty they would work well. To use them with a race which doesn't know of them could be harder.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

True, they could see their lack of emotional resposne as being secretive.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

KuvahMagh wrote:To races who knew of the Vulcans, particularly their fairness and honesty they would work well. To use them with a race which doesn't know of them could be harder.
To races you don't like much, send bearded evil-twin Vulcan diplomats 8)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:To races who knew of the Vulcans, particularly their fairness and honesty they would work well. To use them with a race which doesn't know of them could be harder.
To races you don't like much, send bearded evil-twin Vulcan diplomats 8)
Or the Tellarites... Death by Argument... makes you wonder if some of the members dress up as Tellarites when they go to conventions...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

KuvahMagh wrote:
Or the Tellarites... Death by Argument... makes you wonder if some of the members dress up as Tellarites when they go to conventions...
Has anyone here been to one? Honestly curious, I went to one in 95 IIRC and it was quuite unpleasant save for seeing NImoy and Shatner.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:
Has anyone here been to one? Honestly curious, I went to one in 95 IIRC and it was quuite unpleasant save for seeing NImoy and Shatner.
2 Years ago in Toronto I was going to go, wouldve costed me $500 for a meet and greet with Shatner & Nuimoy, photos with them and various other goodies but it was the same weekend my company transfered me to NFLD so I couldn't
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

KuvahMagh wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
KuvahMagh wrote:
2 Years ago in Toronto I was going to go, wouldve costed me $500 for a meet and greet with Shatner & Nuimoy, photos with them and various other goodies but it was the same weekend my company transfered me to NFLD so I couldn't
NFLD?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Newfoundland, a province in Eastern Canada, also home to the most eastern point in North America.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okay. I've just never seen it abbreviated before. Sounded like some top-secret research facility. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

KuvahMagh wrote:
500$? That's pretty pricey. I don't remember what the one I went to cost, my friend might have paid for me. Probably because I would have refused otherwise. I was quite bored, there's only so many Lursa's you can look at before it gets old. They had some cool pictures on sale though.

Shatner and Nimoy have good chemistry off screen though. Both quite funny.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Okay. I've just never seen it abbreviated before. Sounded like some top-secret research facility. :D
It is, there trying to cross breed man and moose. :wink: