Favourite Kirk moment

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Kirk moment

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Inspired by another thread which went off topic (gasps of shock from the whole board I know), I thought I would do a series of threads about your favourite moments for various characters. If we come up with a whole bunch for each we could run a series of polls on the site to see what wins.

For Kirk, my favourite is ST V, when everybody is in awe of the appearance of "God" and Kirk's response is a quiet "Excuse me... what would God need with a Starship?" There's just something about calmly asking the creator of the universe to explain itself to you that I think is a perfect, perfect moment for Kirk.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Favourite Kirk moment

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm going with the moment in "City on the Edge of Forever" when he clutches McCoy to stop him from saving Edith Keeler. Some truly great acting from Shatner there, and a horribly wrenching scene in-universe for Kirk.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

As I said in the other thread - stealing the Enterprise, and effectively telling the whole of Starfleet where to shove their regulations, because a good friend asked for help.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Without sitting down to think about it too much, I would have to say the scene in which he stops Bones from saving Edith Keeler. You could just tell how torn he was, and how much it hurt him to do the "right" thing but was still willing to do it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

"It never makes any sense. We both have to know there was a reason." Balance of Terror and he's right, it never does.

Edit: for those of you who may not have seen the episode, he was trying to comfort the spouse of a crewman who died in the line of duty. You could tell that he felt the loss just as keenly as she did and that he really didn't have a reason either.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'd go for his conversation with David at the end of "Wrath of Khan", where he admits to himself and David that he's not as clever as he thought. One of his most untypically Kirk moments.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

"KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!"

:wink:
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It's hard to choose between some of the moments in this thread... but I will expand on the STVI moment ("Let them die") with the fact that later in the movie he surrendered (!!!!) and beamed over in an effort to prevent a war with the Klingons whom he hated, in another example of doing the right thing despite how he may feel about it. Then, there was his line at the end of the movie, "you've restored my son's faith."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

... and also in STIII, when he BLEW UP the Enterprise (and his reaction)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Generations - When he died... thank god.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

'The Enemy Within'. "Can half a man live?" Basically playing two characters there, and doing it well. Both are Kirk... yet not fully.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:... thank god.
Not allowed to say that, Captain Atheist.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm allowed to use any phrase I wish. Praise be to Allah.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Kind of hollow, though, don't you think? "Thanks to the entity which doesn't exist from my POV, so I'm actually thanking nothing in particular..." :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm rewatching TOS and really liking Kirk a lot more than before. I don't know. Maybe the immediacy of it.