Internet(s) in Star Trek.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Cyd
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Internet(s) in Star Trek.

Post by Cyd »

It sort of odd that there's no mention of the Internet in the 24th century. Most information is on the 'ships library' (we can infer that most of it is because Voyager couldn't contact the Federation, but they could still access information that one could find in the Alpha Quadrant, plus thats where everyone goes for information anyway). Has it become so ubiquitous that it isn't thought of?

Of course the real reason is that TOS and TNG predate the Internet.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think it is just that it is so common people don't even mention it. It is just something that you use. It is so intergrated that its just something you use.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Teaos wrote:I think it is just that it is so common people don't even mention it. It is just something that you use. It is so intergrated that its just something you use.
I agree with this statement.

Has anyone else seen that episode of the Outer Limits where everyone is connected to the same internet "stream"? That strikes me as the logical technological evolution of the human race.

Also, lol at the title. Reminds me of Ted "Series of Tubes" Stevens.
Ensign Deadman
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Ensign Deadman »

Hmmmm. A whole community joined together as one, sharing all thoughts, experiences and consciousness. Kinda sounds like something I've heard of before in the Delta quadrant but I just can't remember their name.... :)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ensign Deadman wrote:Hmmmm. A whole community joined together as one, sharing all thoughts, experiences and consciousness. Kinda sounds like something I've heard of before in the Delta quadrant but I just can't remember their name.... :)
Isn;'t that a Swedish group? ;)

Seriously, I just assumed all the ship computers were hooked up and that library database I've heard a few times was the internet.

Man... I wonder what message boards would be like in the 24th century... and how many times they've rebooted Superman. :lol:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Do you think spammers can beam advertisements onto ships?

And perhaps Graham would have updated the caption comp/poll by then :wink:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Bryan Moore wrote:Do you think spammers can beam advertisements onto ships?

And perhaps Graham would have updated the caption comp/poll by then :wink:
lol

I can see it now

'Mr Paris, adjust course to...

*transporter*
*man in cheesy suit/tie appears*

WOW! CAPTAIN JANEWAY YOU ARE THE QUADRANT'S 10000000TH VISITOR! YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED TO RECIEVE A FREE SHUTTLECRAFT!!!!!

...goddamn spammers! *phaser*
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

When Quark put spam in DS9's computers, it was a serious offense . . . he was in Odo's custody. Perhaps more importantly, Worf was prepared to kill him, and Kira seemed to threaten the annihilation of the bar.

Link to YouTube Video

Gotta love DS9! They know how to handle spammers. Indeed, we should check views of Earth to see if Nigeria is still present at all. ;)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

lol that DS9 clip was hillarious.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
Good clip.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"