Impulse Engine Colors

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Impulse Engine Colors

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:The smooth lines seems to add speed since the Feds ships always seem to be the fastest around.
Other than the Borg, with their somewhat less aesthetic designs.

As for the impulse engines, I don't think we've seen any colours other than red - all the psychedelic stuff seems to come from the nacelles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Does anybody know what are the lightspecters of diffrent gases. That may give us a picture what the emisions of diffrent engines are made of.
Virtualy the entire design seems to be purely for aesthetic reasons
Clean geometric lines has allways been the best way to get an efficient designe. Cars, ships, planes have shown that aerodynamic and hydrodynamic shapes enable high speeds and low fuel consumption.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote: The smooth lines seems to add speed since the Feds ships always seem to be the fastest around.
I'd say that that's more to do with the fact that they're more advanced than any neighbouring race.
mlsnoopy wrote:Clean geometric lines has allways been the best way to get an efficient designe. Cars, ships, planes have shown that aerodynamic and hydrodynamic shapes enable high speeds and low fuel consumption.
There's no atmosphere in space. Without an atmosphere, aerodynamic shapes are useless. A giant brick with an engine attached would be able to move just as fast as the sleekest ship you can design.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We've heard of warp field dynamics and fields so it would make sense that they need a vaugel smooth shape.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You can get 'smooth' without also getting 'absolutely nonsensicaly'.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, there is a middle gorund; and as Teaos said, there has bee much mention of "warp field dynamics" in which geometry, etc., seem to play a part.

Seafort - just off the top of my head, I can think of the Ambassador-class variants, one of which had blue impulse exhaust.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You can get 'smooth' without also getting 'absolutely nonsensicaly'.
They arent that smooth.

Look at a up close of Voyager or other ships. They have buppy bits but since the ships are so large they dont show up from a distance.

Also if you have something that is rather smoothly shaped you may as well make it smooth. Makes armouring it easier if its just a smooth shell shape and might give you that little eztra speed for almost no effort.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm still iffy over the whole "they're that shape because it's faster". If that were so, don't you think that the other races would catch on to that idea and also make ships that way? And the Borg just use giant bricks.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The only true way to make a starship faster is to have the engines built by a chief engineer with a mullett and a sleeveless uniform! Give him a six pack of beer, and she'll go even faster...
...oh, boy, I just walked into the Innuendo Zone on that last statement, didn't I? :worried:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

mwhittington wrote:The only true way to make a starship faster is to have the engines built by a chief engineer with a mullett and a sleeveless uniform! Give him a six pack of beer, and she'll go even faster...
...oh, boy, I just walked into the Innuendo Zone on that last statement, didn't I? :worried:
"And what is that particular modification to the warp core, Engineer Jethro?"

"That? That's a bolt-on supercharger, boy!"
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And DITL innuendo claims another thread
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:And DITL innuendo claims another thread
And, I get a little bit more powerful. :twisted:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Samson lost his power when they cut off his hair. Do you think if we cut of Tsu's... you know. That he'd lose his power?

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Id say its a combination of a few things

one - fuel type
two - overall power output
three - heat from exhausts (?)
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think total output has a bearing on inefficiencies, and heat is a function of them, so that would probably agree with my idea of color being a function of "wasted" EM output.
as Bull offed Custer