Any Star Trek ships capable of performing a BDZ operation?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Any Star Trek ships capable of performing a BDZ operation?

Post by Mikey »

Incidental music I wouldn't mind, but the sound-in-a-vacuum thing always got to me; except for the fact that "suspension of disbelief" is meant to relate to the technicalities of watching a TV show, as well as the pseudo-science within it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Just throwing it out there, space is not a perfect vacuum so isn't it possible that there may be enough particles to transmit some sound? And if you're fighting in a nebula, theres gasses everywhere to provide a medium for sound (see: Mutara or Omarion(the founders nebula, not sure on spelling)). As for explosions and what not, there are combustible(able?) materials in the ships, I would say those are what we see burning which is why its generally "quick-burst, boom done" not long drawn-out fire, explosion etc....Except in rare cases, i.e. destruction of Enterprise 1701
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Depends on how you define sound. Put it this way; there's simply no way you can hear a spaceship flying past you in space. No way whatsoever.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Depends on how you define sound. Put it this way; there's simply no way you can hear a spaceship flying past you in space. No way whatsoever.
Yep. Any media for sound in space would be too discontinuous or far apart to transmit it from source to observer.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Depends on how you define sound. Put it this way; there's simply no way you can hear a spaceship flying past you in space. No way whatsoever.
You could, however, install a system on your ship that interprets sensor information audibly as well as visually, making the best use of all human senses, rather than just the eyes. It is after all a lot more intuitive to react to a sound coming from behind you than a blip on a screen. It would be best used for fighters, where reactions times are most important, but there's no reason why it couldn't be installed on larger ships.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:You could, however, install a system on your ship that interprets sensor information audibly as well as visually
What, have a 3-D surround sound system in the cockpit and then have the computer synthesise a sound that sounded like it was coming from wherever the ship near you was? Yes, I suppose you could do that. Seems like a rather peculiar idea, but it's certainly possible.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:What, have a 3-D surround sound system in the cockpit and then have the computer synthesise a sound that sounded like it was coming from wherever the ship near you was? Yes, I suppose you could do that. Seems like a rather peculiar idea, but it's certainly possible.
Exactly - as I said, it would be a lot quicker and more intuitive than having to interpret a visual sensor display.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:What, have a 3-D surround sound system in the cockpit and then have the computer synthesise a sound that sounded like it was coming from wherever the ship near you was? Yes, I suppose you could do that. Seems like a rather peculiar idea, but it's certainly possible.
Exactly - as I said, it would be a lot quicker and more intuitive than having to interpret a visual sensor display.
I can see that it might be. Then again it might not; you'd have to try it and see.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That sounds like a damn good idea. Would help keep you focused.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd think it could be quite distracting myself. If I'm focused on a scanner display and the sound system suddenly pumps some noise into my ear... might miss something crucial.

I gather they did an awful lot of work on the audio warning and voice command systems they are starting to use on fighters for exactly that reason. Really don't want to distract a pilot with a noise in his ear at just the wrong moment!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:I'd think it could be quite distracting myself. If I'm focused on a scanner display and the sound system suddenly pumps some noise into my ear... might miss something crucial.
The details of the system would have to be carefully worked out so such distractions are avoided. Setting a limit on the volume would be an important one.
I gather they did an awful lot of work on the audio warning and voice command systems they are starting to use on fighters for exactly that reason. Really don't want to distract a pilot with a noise in his ear at just the wrong moment!
I a big part of the problem with Nagging Nora was that pilots were having to actively listen to what the thing was saying, which distrcted them from flying. I think a simple noise to intuitively convey a nearby ship's bearing and distance would be a lot simpler than spoken instructions or information.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think a simple directional alarm would work out better than a recreation of the "real" sound - one can train oneself to react a certain way to an alarm, but no matter how cool you are the sound of a pair of giant turbofans coming up behind you will tend to produce a distracting visceral reaction.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Actually... they mention something like that in the Star Wars EU. An audio interpretation device or something along those lines. *Shrugs* It was an in-universe explanation for sound in space. Because, you know, suspension of disbelief's not enough... :roll:
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
You could, however, install a system on your ship that interprets sensor information audibly as well as visually, making the best use of all human senses, rather than just the eyes. It is after all a lot more intuitive to react to a sound coming from behind you than a blip on a screen. It would be best used for fighters, where reactions times are most important, but there's no reason why it couldn't be installed on larger ships.
That's actually a great idea. Also if sound did transmit like light then the sound of those explosions would be so great it would be deafening.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Actually... they mention something like that in the Star Wars EU. An audio interpretation device or something along those lines. *Shrugs* It was an in-universe explanation for sound in space. Because, you know, suspension of disbelief's not enough... :roll:
Really? Which book / comic / game?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-