How powerful are photon torpedoes, really?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Duskofdead wrote:There are most definitely different types of photons... mark this and mark that. Janeway had specifically mentioned that Voyager was carrying a newer model of photons than had been in service at the time the Cardassian dreadnought weapon was designed, and so they might be able to punch through its shields even though the weapon had been designed to withstand photons.
Combine that with the variable yields, and the answer to the title of this thread is canonically "anything and everything," I guess. :roll:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:There are most definitely different types of photons... mark this and mark that. Janeway had specifically mentioned that Voyager was carrying a newer model of photons than had been in service at the time the Cardassian dreadnought weapon was designed, and so they might be able to punch through its shields even though the weapon had been designed to withstand photons.
Combine that with the variable yields, and the answer to the title of this thread is canonically "anything and everything," I guess. :roll:
It's what I've always thought. How powerful are they? As powerful as they need to be.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, they most likely have an upper range (some physics has to apply to Trek, :roll: )
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: How powerful are photon torpedoes, really?

Post by Mikey »

The only physical law that consistently applies to 'Trek is "Physics shall be applied in such a manner as is most convenient to the plot purposes of the writer."
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Right, we've established that photorps have a variable yield. Going from the incident Thorin posted about earlier, we have an upper limit of around a gigatonne. It's probably likely that few torps are actualy in this range, however, as we don't see them that often, and they can't be easy to make.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It might not be that they are easy or hard to make. Its that the Federation doesnt like using something that powerful since it lacks control.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The most powerfull PT type is probably the one used foe planatery bombardment. But such a weapon is probably useless in ship to ship combat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd imagine it'd be the opposite. Such weapons would be phenomenally useful in ship to ship combat, simply for their power. Where as the Federation would be less likely to lob such powerful weapons at a planet.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We've seen the Feds and almost evryone tries to disable rather than blow up.

Thus they wouldnt want to use a powerful torpedo since it would not have the same control.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

But you don't use a tomahawk to shoot down a plane.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:We've seen the Feds and almost evryone tries to disable rather than blow up.

Thus they wouldnt want to use a powerful torpedo since it would not have the same control.
Ah, of course. I forgot that the Feds are idiots when it comes to anything pertaining to war.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

True, but I would say it in terms that civilian purposes dictate the UFP's waging of war. :roll:

The Fed philosophy has always seemd to have been "the minimum amounf of force required;" in addition, increasing the yield of torp would reduce its range, speed, mobility, etc. - aren't the sustainer engines powered by the same M/AM stock which the PT uses for its warhead?
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We've debated this Rochey. Disabling a enemy ship is almost always better than blowing it up.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not in open warfare such as the Dominion War it isn't.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Were we talking about the Dominion war?

I thought we were just talking about generic ship to ship combat.