Star Trek Earth vs Nature's Fury

Trek Books, Games and General chat
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Star Trek Earth vs Nature's Fury

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Alright, how would Star Trek Earth's advanced technology from the 24th Century handle these Apocalyptic Threats:

Nanotechnology-Gray Goo that consumes everything it touches (Man Made)
Advanced AI (Terminator Route)
Gamma Ray Burst (Already caused a Mass Extinction on Earth)
Ice Age/Snowball Earth
Hypercane (a theoretical contributor to the Extinction of the Dinosaurs)
Yellowstone's Supervolcano
Magnitude 10 level Earthquakes
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

EMP blast?
Same as above. I think this would be the hardest to fight though. Convental fighting could work to but they have an advantage there.
This would be easy enough. Some form of planetary shielding.
Ice Age/Snowball Earth
Hell we're making the earth hot as it is I bet they can do it to.
Waether modification is something we can theoretically do so they should be easily able to fix that.
Hard but doable. Beam magma out from under it dropping the pressue.
No idea. Fuse the plates togther through beam weapons?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Star Trek Earth vs Nature's Fury

Post by sunnyside »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Nanotechnology-Gray Goo that consumes everything it touches (Man Made)
Make Goo 2.0
Assuming they got starships and caused much initial death it would be a battle. The Federation gets an advantage for being spread out though.

If they didn't get starships and it was just an earth thing the battle would go poorly for the machines.
In Trek they are working on an extended periodic table. And use high energy absorbing high density materials for ships hulls. Since high atomic number and high density is what stops gamma radiation it is possible they could just shield houses as appropriate if a planetary shield is a no go. Or make a giant sheed of the stuff.
Ice Age/Snowball Earth
Just pump out some greenshouse gasses. Though really with modern tech it would be easy enough to live in antarctica so it isn't much of a worry except for biodiversity (which is why th'ed bother to try and heat the planet.
I'd think the quickest way to mess with something like this would be using stuff to just apply heat in the right places to disrupt the flow. THough again hunkering down with your future tech would probably see you through it.
Phasers seem to be able to cut through rock pretty well. Probably cut angled paths down to the magma packet to vent it safely from a number of locations.

Then open the spas.

With their advanced sensors and ability to transport/phaser rock I'd imagine they'd detect this well in advance and work to remove the pressure on the fault line.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Find out that is intelegente, comunicate with it, relocate them to a rock in space.
Blow it up.
Ice Age/Snowball Earth
Weather control web.
Drill a hole. Let out the preasure.
Transport the population out of the effected area.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Nanotechnology-Gray Goo that consumes everything it touches (Man Made)

Nanites - modified borg nanites.

Electro-magnetic pulse. Or perhaps a stasis field. Or a polaron item (i think it was polaron lol)

Planetary shielding grid. or manouvre a giant asteroid into position in front of the radiation.
Ice Age/Snowball Earth

Giant heaters duh. Or manipulate the weather to cause heatwaves.

weather manipulation, energy barriers

beam the magma out

fuse the plates. Or use energy weapons to damage the rocks. You could even put loads of shock-absorbers into the ground.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If they're mechanical, an EMP blast should do the trick nice enough.
You mean a Skynet-style computer that's invading other computers in an attempt to rebel?
Not sure. Their ships appear to be vulnerable to hacking attacks, and firewalls seem non-existant. If they can get a defence up quickly enough, then it just becomes a mop-up operation taking down the ships that the AI has taken over. If they don't act quickly enough, or if the AI is smart enough to stay out of sight and not alert anyone to its presence while it propogates throughout the fleet, then Starfleet could very well end up with the vast majority of its fleet in enemy hands.
No idea. If it can be stopped by density, then simply towing a large asteroid between the sun and Earth for a while should do the trick.
Ice Age/Snowball Earth
Easiest of the lot. Trek has weather control satalites, IIRC, so they simply use them to crank the heat up.
What's this? I'm assuming from the name that it's just a very large hurricane. If that's true, then the weather satalites can deal with this as well.
Blow a few holes into the ground to let the pressure out. That should do the trick, if I remember my geography classes right.
I'm not too sure if they could stop this one. They could simply beam the population out, though, so there'd be no casualties.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

They'd cure it with some sort of radiation that only harmed it and no other life on the planet.
They would attack it using horrible tactics and get massacred.
They would probably take the hit. THey could make it so it doesn't effect people that much with their radiation innoculations but it would harm the environment a lot reguardless.
Ice Age/Snowball Earth
Huge difference between those two. The Ice Eart of 600 million years ago is far different than the ice age of 600k years ago. But they'd probably use some kind of mirrors or terraforming. Both can be caused by methane bubbles being released from the ocean so they might need methane cleaners.
Hypercane I assume is something like a Hurricane. Weather control systems could stop that. The other two would still get the better of Trek technology. The damage would be limited by better technology but there would be no way to stop that.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote: [
This would be easy enough. Some form of planetary shielding.
When has the Federation shown the inititive to shield Earth? The Breen? V'yer? The Borg?

Hard but doable. Beam magma out from under it dropping the pressue.
Beam billions of tons of rock into space???

No idea. Fuse the plates togther through beam weapons?
You'd have to scorch through billions of tons of rock to do that. See above. Impossible with what we've seen.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think people are vastly under estimating the force of yellow stone. We're talking enough rock to cover 2/3rds of the US in 8 feet deep ash. Yeah not going to beam it and letting out pressure would only cause new erruptions.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When has the Federation shown the inititive to shield Earth? The Breen? V'yer? The Borg?
They cant keep a shield up all the time. Also this shield doest need to be that strong just enough to block radiation.
Beam billions of tons of rock into space???
They would see it coming ages away. Plenty of time to do it.
You'd have to scorch through billions of tons of rock to do that. See above. Impossible with what we've seen.
That Romulan/Cardassian fleet vaporised a large chunk of the Founders planet. So its possible to modify a planets crust.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote: They cant keep a shield up all the time. Also this shield doest need to be that strong just enough to block radiation.
They had advanced warning on all of those besides the Breen but no shield or talk of a shield ever. Hell I can't remember a planetary shield in all of Trek.
They would see it coming ages away. Plenty of time to do it.
Assuming they could see it coming from a long ways off (an event no one has ever seen and chances are most other species have never seen), then it would be possible I suppose. But does trek usually beam things like rocks out? And transporters don't work that great of distances you going to beam all that rock into space to let it fall back down?

That Romulan/Cardassian fleet vaporised a large chunk of the Founders planet. So its possible to modify a planets crust.
Yeah but I very much doubt that crust vaporizing was done without upsetting the delicate ecological niches in those areas or without damaging any nearby cities.

You can't have a fleet of Federation ships melt crust fissures together some how (Since they're already melted) and not hurt the environment.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They had advanced warning on all of those besides the Breen but no shield or talk of a shield ever. Hell I can't remember a planetary shield in all of Trek.
There have been planetary cloaks so large cover tech is possible even if we havent seen a plantary shield.

Why would you bother with a planetary shield to stop an attack. It would only be as strong as most shields and once you put a gap in it the rest is pointless. Better to just shield important buildings.
And transporters don't work that great of distances you going to beam all that rock into space to let it fall back down?
Hell you dont even need to beam it into space. Dematerialise it then lose the signal on purpose and let it disapear.
Yeah but I very much doubt that crust vaporizing was done without upsetting the delicate ecological niches in those areas or without damaging any nearby cities.

You can't have a fleet of Federation ships melt crust fissures together some how (Since they're already melted) and not hurt the environment.
The fact that they destroyed the crust shows they have the power. Federation phasers are shown to be very accurate and fine tuned so there is no reaosn they couldnt do it.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't think we've ever seen a planetary shield, nor has one ever been implied to exist.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:There have been planetary cloaks so large cover tech is possible even if we havent seen a plantary shield.
There was a planetary cloak. One that caused mass sterilety and was installed on a non-Fed planet. The Federation doesn't have that technology.
Why would you bother with a planetary shield to stop an attack. It would only be as strong as most shields and once you put a gap in it the rest is pointless. Better to just shield important buildings.
What gives you that idea? A planetary shield could have the power output of the entire planet pumped into i, compared with only a single ship for most shields. We've also seen that the bigger a shield is (at standard setting), the more powerful it tends to be - see the difference between shuttlecraft and starship shields.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I admit there's no evidence, but I always assumed there had to be something like a shield capable of defending advanced homeworlds. Otherwise, couldn't 200 Romulan Warbirds just decloak in orbit of Earth and Vulcan and demand the Federation's surrender?