Star Trek Earth vs Nature's Fury

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:Well, Tsu has convinced me. If we have to make something up to explain the impotence of the Breen attack, then shields over San Fran is the least implausible thing to make up.
That's exactly my feeling. I'm not insisting there's proof or that my theory is correct, merely that it's more plausible than the other explanations to make sense of why a concentrated attack on San Francisco made a hole in the Golden Gate Bridge and a couple of smoking cracks in a few buildings. It requires us to make up less new data out of a hat.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well the limited damage could also be due to a kick arse SIF in the bridge and buildings. Would also explain how a 400 year old bridge is still standing.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:Well the limited damage could also be due to a kick arse SIF in the bridge and buildings. Would also explain how a 400 year old bridge is still standing.
It would beg the question if they were going to bother installing heavy duty SIF fields why they wouldn't add shields over Starfleet's HQ.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

SIF has a day to day function, shields dont.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Materials technology could explain the bridge, et. al. - I thought SIF's were expressly for space vessels.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If SIF's can be used in ships they could be used on anything. Its just ships are the most obvious use for them.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I could install a moat and a gatehouse with a portcullis in front of my house, too. That doesn't meant that it makes sense. I believe that the function of an SIF is specifically for the material stresses involved in a big, fast-moving thing. Buildings generally only have one of those two criteria.
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I could see a light SIF field for earthquakes. But a shield for one of the most militarily important installations on one of the most important planets in the entire Federation makes even more sense. ;)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Duskofdead wrote:
Mikey wrote:Well, Tsu has convinced me. If we have to make something up to explain the impotence of the Breen attack, then shields over San Fran is the least implausible thing to make up.
That's exactly my feeling. I'm not insisting there's proof or that my theory is correct, merely that it's more plausible than the other explanations to make sense of why a concentrated attack on San Francisco made a hole in the Golden Gate Bridge and a couple of smoking cracks in a few buildings. It requires us to make up less new data out of a hat.
Oh I agree its plasuable. I just disagree that they had it. And if they had it I disagree even further that it covered all of Earth. Which would make them doomed from a massive burst of radiation.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I also disagree that such a shield would or could have been planetary in scale. As far as radiation bursts, I'm sure there would be some technobabble sufficient to explain an enhancement to a/o expansion of the Van Allen belts.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even if there was a shield over SFHQ, with which I still disagree, there's no logical reason to extend "they can shield their most important military compound" to "they can shield the entire planet". At best, there was a theatre shield around the area.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is no reason to assume they can't. We have never seen a problem with shielding large objects. Starships have been shown to increase their shield size to cover other ships even.

So long as you can power it there is no reason they couldnt.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's called the Inverse Square Rule (IIRC). The larger an area you spread something out, the more power you'll need to keep it at the same strength. Shielding something the size of Earth would require a ridiculously high amount of power.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:There is no reason to assume they can't. We have never seen a problem with shielding large objects. Starships have been shown to increase their shield size to cover other ships even.

So long as you can power it there is no reason they couldnt.

There's a big leap in power from shielding a two ships or a space station to shielding Earth.

Is it just me or does Rochey and I agree on most subjects?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems to be. :)