Star Trek Vs Modern Earth

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Star Trek Vs Modern Earth

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Q gets bored one day, and decides to give Earth as of 2008 some trouble. He takes forces from the Trek universe and convinces them all that their mission is to invade and seize control of Earth. The invaders start in position just behind the moon in unarmed transport ships, so orbital bombardment is out of the question.
Which of the following forces, if any, can defeat the combined militaries of modern Earth?

200 million Federation troops.

200 million Klingons.

200 million Romulans.

200 million Jem'hadar.

200 million Borg.

In each case, they get all ground-equipment and weapons that they were observed to have.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

er....hmmm....i would think so with heavy losses.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm not sure the combined militaries of modern Earth equal out to 200 million troops.

Even if a hand phaser really can level buildings, I'd say we'd do okay (overall) against most of those options. The Klingons and Jem'Hadar, we'd probably beat, but Romulans would almost certainly use ranged weapons and take cover, as would the Federation. Assuming the Borg don't have any way to adapt to projectile weapons, it would be a turkey shoot.

You said "no orbital bombardment" so I guess they'd have no air power? In that case, we'd wipe the floor with them.

Unless they started transporting troops directly into command centers, or otherwise use transporters offensively (beam platoons into space, etc.), so they could easily beat us.

You said weapons and equipment they are known to have; what about tactics? In that case, the idea of beaming platoons, tanks, aircraft, etc. directly into space might not occur to them... :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Re: Star Trek Vs Modern Earth

Post by Duskofdead »

Rochey wrote:Q gets bored one day, and decides to give Earth as of 2008 some trouble. He takes forces from the Trek universe and convinces them all that their mission is to invade and seize control of Earth. The invaders start in position just behind the moon in unarmed transport ships, so orbital bombardment is out of the question.
Which of the following forces, if any, can defeat the combined militaries of modern Earth?

200 million Klingons.

200 million Romulans.

200 million Jem'hadar.

200 million Borg.

In each case, they get all ground-equipment and weapons that they were observed to have.
I think any or all of them have great potential and probably a huge advantage when it comes to defeating/conquering Earth.

The most dangerous one though is the Borg. Because even if they have no ability to adapt to KE, it only takes one of them beaming somewhere away from the fight and start assimilating people. Then you've got a doomsday/Dawn of the Dead scenario you can't stop.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

200 million Jem'hadar.
Overall, if the Jem'Hadar are at their best they'd probably be able to beat a Somali militia or similar. Their weapons, with their anticoagulent properties, would place a severe strain on medical services when they didn't kill their targets outright. They've got powerful mortars, in action in "The Ship", which seem roughly equal to modern artillery. During the boarding of DS9 they behaved well - keeping their weapons up and covering each other, even when moving into Ops after Kira's formal handover. In an infantry-only action they'd probably do reasonably. Against better equipped forces (ie anyone with armour and/or air support) they'd loose due to their inability to counter such technology.

On the other hand their tactics at AR-558 were abyssmal, and if they acted like that they'd get thrashed.
They've long long-range firepower (albeit weak) in the form of the "Worfzooka", and have highly mobile, although extremely vulnable, reconnaissance vehicles. Their complete lack of artillery, armour and air support leaves them extremely vulnerable, but they at least understand the value of cover, unlike some of the others. They'd get thrashed
200 million Romulans.
We haven't really seen enough of them to get a good idea of their capabilities, but I'd place them roughly equal to the Feds, without the long-range firepower or the recce vehicles. Again, they'd get thrashed.
200 million Klingons.
Similar to AR-558 Jemmies, only worse. They've got light mortars (pathetically light), seen in "Nor the Battle to the Strong...", but their nototorious tendency to use big clumsy swords instead of firearms more than cancels out that slight bit of equipment. It'd be a one-sided massacre.
200 million Borg.
One-sided massacre of the Borg. At least the Klingons charge, rather than amble.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Their lack of well anything would make them easy targets. Once their intentions are known they're really screwed. I think the US could take them on without using its troops in Iraq. Simply send a carieer group towards them bombard them like crazy and then send a tank batallion to clean it up :P
200 million Klingons.
The Klingons could do some serious damage. Two hundred million blood thirsty crazy sword weilding occationally shooting guys cause problems. If they landed some place like India I would imagine they'd kill at least their own.
200 million Romulans.
I think the Romulans would have some strategy. I wouldnt' be surprised if they took control of all nuclear silos and had those silos do their work for them. Its been shown Trek computers can easily trick modern computers into doing their will. I think in the end Romulans would probably lose but I think it'd be a close one.
200 million Jem'hadar.
Pretty much the same as the Klingons. The Jem'Hadar I assume have that GQ Crack with them so they won't starve. Due to their better physical abilities and technology they should do more damage, they could clean out a place like Africa easily but in the end would lose to the industrial powers.
200 million Borg.
Borg would win. Sure kenetic weapons kill them but they would assimulate. I think humanity would have a chance but unlike Zombies the Borg learn from their assimulations and in the end the humans would be toast.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

First off I think we'd have to say their troop transports would be pretty basic. Give them a good replicator and transporter and the game changes drastically.

Set to high power indavidual troops would be capable of leveling whole cities and 200 million is a whole heck of a lot. Still though without other forms of support they'd have trouble in the open field.

Personally I think the Feds might do really well just for having the home court advantage and some skill at diplomacy. My guess is that they'd get some early allies. Or be able to get some governments to fold early with a flood of troops and then work together. With centers of production and their future knowledge the Feds would eventually win the war against any hold outs.

Borg have the advantage of being able to form their tech out of nowhere. Soon they'd have adapted to conventional earth weaponry and be mostly immune. I'm guessing early drops would be into high population density civilian areas to start the zombie apocalypse. And with borg even if the the transports were blown during the drop the indavidual borg would just hit the ground, get back up, walk onto a bus and start stabbing people trapped inside.

The others i think would do poorly. Earth would unite against them and they'd have a hard time against airborn weaponry. Also without their drugs the Jems would have a limited timeframe.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Monroe wrote:I think the Romulans would have some strategy. I wouldnt' be surprised if they took control of all nuclear silos and had those silos do their work for them. Its been shown Trek computers can easily trick modern computers into doing their will. I think in the end Romulans would probably lose but I think it'd be a close one.
If they have to rely on our own weapons to win the war, that's effectively admitting they can't do the job themselves. I'd also like to see some evidence of Trek computers hacking modern ones. Given Scotty's inability to even operate one, and Trek's notorious lack of computer security, I'm somewhat sceptical.
Pretty much the same as the Klingons. The Jem'Hadar I assume have that GQ Crack with them so they won't starve. Due to their better physical abilities and technology they should do more damage, they could clean out a place like Africa easily but in the end would lose to the industrial powers.
There are an awful lot of tanks in Africa. Mainly old Sovet designs like the T-55 and T-62, but still a damn sight better than nothing, which is what the Jemmies have.
Borg would win. Sure kenetic weapons kill them but they would assimulate. I think humanity would have a chance but unlike Zombies the Borg learn from their assimulations and in the end the humans would be toast.
Assimilation won't help them given their appauling lack of mobility. A Napoleonic army could beat the Borg. A modern army would slaughter them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Can't really reply in depth right now, but two things I wanted to clarify.
You said weapons and equipment they are known to have; what about tactics?
Assume they use the same tactics, and have the same level of competance, that we've seen them display in the show.
Personally I think the Feds might do really well just for having the home court advantage and some skill at diplomacy. My guess is that they'd get some early allies.
For the purposes of this scenario, assume the mentioned races have already declared war on all nations on Earth, and will not be allying with any of them. This is ST V Earth, not ST + Earth V Earth.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Assume they use the same tactics, and have the same level of competance, that we've seen them display in the show.
Then they're screwed. Like I said, even the transporter would be a devastating weapon if used properly. I can recall all of one instance where a transporter was used to beam people into space; that's idiotic, IMO.

" Captain, intruder alert!"

" Beam 'em into space."

" Transport complete, sir. Shall I beam their pants off for comedic effect?"

" Proceed."

See? Easy. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

sunnyside wrote:First off I think we'd have to say their troop transports would be pretty basic. Give them a good replicator and transporter and the game changes drastically.
Given the number of things that can block transporters (high density materials, electrical substations, funny ore, etc) I don't think we can take that as a given.
Set to high power indavidual troops would be capable of leveling whole cities and 200 million is a whole heck of a lot.
What? These are Star Trek troops we're talking about, not Book MI.
Still though without other forms of support they'd have trouble in the open field.
"Trouble" is something of an understatement.
Personally I think the Feds might do really well just for having the home court advantage and some skill at diplomacy. My guess is that they'd get some early allies. Or be able to get some governments to fold early with a flood of troops and then work together. With centers of production and their future knowledge the Feds would eventually win the war against any hold outs.
The OP's an invade-and-conquer scenario, not a "let's see if we can trick the locals into helping us" scenario.
Borg have the advantage of being able to form their tech out of nowhere.
They can produce small pieces of technology from their nanoprobes. They can't pull heavy artillery out of their arses.
Soon they'd have adapted to conventional earth weaponry and be mostly immune.
No they couldn't. They've consistently proved incapable of adapting to KE attacks.
I'm guessing early drops would be into high population density civilian areas to start the zombie apocalypse. And with borg even if the the transports were blown during the drop the indavidual borg would just hit the ground, get back up, walk onto a bus and start stabbing people trapped inside.
This might work in, say, the UK, although they'd probably suffer casualties to kitchen knives, cricket bats, etc. In the US, where everyone seems to keep a small arsenal in their home, they'd lose badly.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

This might work in, say, the UK, although they'd probably suffer casualties to kitchen knives, cricket bats, etc. In the US, where everyone seems to keep a small arsenal in their home, they'd lose badly.
Rednecks do but I think as a general statement, people outisde America have a very exaggerated notion of how prevalent arms are here. In rural areas it is probably more common, in big cities I think it's more a case of the people who have them tend to have like 10, 20, 30 different firearms rather than "everyone has them." It actually seems, at least to me, pretty rare.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...This might work in, say, the UK, although they'd probably suffer casualties to kitchen knives, cricket bats, etc. In the US, where everyone seems to keep a small arsenal in their home, they'd lose badly.
Yep. I've got at least a hundred 9mm rounds, 17-round magazines, a weapon that is nearly guaranteed not to malfunction, and plenty of time to aim for heads, considering how slow they are.

I figure I at least could handle 50 or 60 of them while moving to a more secure position. I'm sure all the gang-bangers in my 'hood wouldn't take no sh*t off no honky robot zombies neither, so I'd have backup. :wink:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

While the stereotype of the average US home having enough firepower to hold off an infantry attack is an exaggeration, the point stands that there are a lot of privately owned weapons in the country. Enough to ensure that any Borg invasion such as that in the OP ended very quickly
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:Rednecks do but I think as a general statement, people outisde America have a very exaggerated notion of how prevalent arms are here...
I have the rare distinction of my neck being born red, actually. :wink: