Tech from Trek

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Teaos wrote:
All of this stuff, and more, was inspired by Trek.
I think a lot of it is just coincidence. Mobile phones and touch screens are a nature progression.
Is it? Or is something more. :shock:
Like the writers from 'Trek have always been part of a secret plot to desensitize the world to aliens and advanced technology, and they actually had inside knowledge of technology scheduled for release in the near future?

Nah. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
stitch626 wrote:And there's the Jeri Ryan alarm clock...
What does she do to wake you up? :D
That's what I meant by innuendo. :)
I can't help it! :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Duskofdead wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Haha very funny. :lol:

I am serious. All of this stuff, and more, was inspired by Trek. What do you think. Technology that started in a TV show. Cool, right.
Trek has always been a case of art imitating life, and then life imitating art, back and forth.

For instance the original concepts with the Enterprise bridge and layout and such was based on navy ships of course, which everyone knows. But then the navy started exploring Enterprise as a study model for more efficient bridge layouts.
Not just that, but one of the NASA Space Shuttles was named Enterprise to carry on the namesake, as it were. Now THAT'S life imitating art!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Isn't it amazing all the things that came from Trek.
Cell phones, PDAs, touchscreens, MRIs and PET and CAT scans (the new no giant scary loud machine kind) and the like.
They even have "hyposprays", they inject without breaking the skin (though can't draw blood yet).
So, what's you guyzes feelings on the matter?
Uh, none of this stuff came about purely because of Trek. All this stuff is just a proper aplication of tech that would have come about regardless of Trek. Hell, they even had primitive mobiles back during WW2 that were used to keep in contact with HQ. PDAs are just common sense to make; they make life a lot easier. Touchscreens would have come about regardless, as would MRIs, PETs and CATs.
I've no idea what the hyposprays you're reffering to are, so I can't really comment on that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:I've no idea what the hyposprays you're reffering to are, so I can't really comment on that.
They've been developed mainly for diabetics - as the name suggests they operate on a similar principles to Trek hyposprays, to get drugs into the body without puncturing the skin. Mikey could probably tell you more than I could.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't heard of them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Rochey wrote:I've no idea what the hyposprays you're reffering to are, so I can't really comment on that.
They've been developed mainly for diabetics - as the name suggests they operate on a similar principles to Trek hyposprays, to get drugs into the body without puncturing the skin. Mikey could probably tell you more than I could.
I wish I could - I don't mind needles, but I'd prefer something like a hypospray. Unfortunately, I've never heard of this. There are a few new technologies out, which might be what you mean: there is a new inhaled insulin delivery system - but the two cases I know of (at my own endocrinologist's office) switched back to injected insulin because the mechanism was very complicated to adjust/fine tune the dosages, etc.

There is a pump, which is worn like a pager and has it's own reservoir, but still attaches under the skin with a small needle.

Finally there are the "pens," which come prefilled, but which still use a short needle which attaches on top to actually deliver the insulin.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Jet Injector

There you go. :D
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow - thanks for the info. Doesn't look like I'd be a candidate, however; they are hard to get covered by insurance, and at my weight/body fat I'd stand a greater risk of injecting intra-muscularly rather than into adipose tissue (which is bad when you're taking insulin.) Syringes or the pens I described may have less fine control over dosages, but I take mine in whole units anyway, and needles have more control over placement.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Hope this stuff becomes available for normal shots.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've never had a huge problem with shots. Like Mikey I also have to test blood sugar regularly; thankfully the lancing device I use is relatively painless. Right now my medication is in pill form (I don't need insulin). I do have a bit of trouble with large pills due to my strong gag reflex (going to the dentist is worse), but I've handled it so far.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I can cope with injections if i cant see it penetrating the skin. I can't bare oral injections, cause the needle looks soooo evil
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

if i cant see it penetrating the skin. I can't bare oral
God I hope Tsu doesnt read that...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Hehe, yeah same here.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.