Borg Space

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Do you mean Ichebs home planet, Brunali/Brunal?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Oh right i know what your talking about now XD
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

The Borg consider the entuire universe to be their space, they just haven't got around to visiting it all yet.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tiberius wrote:The Borg consider the entuire universe to be their space, they just haven't got around to visiting it all yet.
Humorous, but maybe not inaccurate. I would say that the Borg consider the entire galaxy to be their field, to harvest at their convenience.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Wouldn't it be something if when the Hive thinks they're mature enough they send out little borg colony pods to other galaxies? Who's to say there arent' more than one Hive? we know very little about other Galaxies as a whole. Could be several collectives. Maybe millions.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:Wouldn't it be something if when the Hive thinks they're mature enough they send out little borg colony pods to other galaxies? Who's to say there arent' more than one Hive? we know very little about other Galaxies as a whole. Could be several collectives. Maybe millions.
Colony pods, haha, now you made me picture the Borg Queen's portrait in an Alpha Centauri diplomatic screen.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:Wouldn't it be something if when the Hive thinks they're mature enough they send out little borg colony pods to other galaxies? Who's to say there arent' more than one Hive? we know very little about other Galaxies as a whole. Could be several collectives. Maybe millions.
I agree it's possible in theory, but I think the way the Queen talks about the collective, it's implied that they have made only limited forays into other galaxies. The push into fluidic space for instance, which didn't seem to involve so much "going far away and exploring" so much as figuring out a way to open rifts into their space from our space. Given the relatively high level of rarity (besides once or twice per series) of an alien race being identified as coming from another galaxy, I think travel between galaxies is still something generally out of the range of Trek tech. Even the Borg, who seem very advanced, would take some unrealistic amount of time to cross galaxies.

On a simpler level, I think their species numbering system also implies they've never expanded out of our galaxy. Humans, on the other side of the galaxy, are species 5618.... seeming to imply they've encountered 5,617 spacefaring/intelligent species at the time they gave humans a designation. Seems well within the range of what could be contained within the Milky Way, and you'd expect the number to be much higher if they were in multiple galaxies simultaneously.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah I agree its not backed up at all but it would be interesting. The Borg's numbering system also goes out of order. I think there's over a thousand numbers between Vulcans and humans and they should be relatively close to each other. To me that means that once a species becomes extinct their number is up for grabs again. Or the numbering is kind of random.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Duskofdead wrote:On a simpler level, I think their species numbering system also implies they've never expanded out of our galaxy. Humans, on the other side of the galaxy, are species 5618.... seeming to imply they've encountered 5,617 spacefaring/intelligent species at the time they gave humans a designation. Seems well within the range of what could be contained within the Milky Way, and you'd expect the number to be much higher if they were in multiple galaxies simultaneously.
Then again maybe the Borg are like a real bee hive, they send out a queen who establishes a new colony that doesn't have any links with the original, doesn't mean they're not bee's any more they're not just from the same hive so there could be Borg in multiple galaxies but just not in contact with each other. A bit of a simplistic theory but you get the idea.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:Yeah I agree its not backed up at all but it would be interesting. The Borg's numbering system also goes out of order. I think there's over a thousand numbers between Vulcans and humans and they should be relatively close to each other. To me that means that once a species becomes extinct their number is up for grabs again. Or the numbering is kind of random.
Well if you take the Hansens into account, humans would have been encountered by the Borg long before Vulcans. Was the Vulcan number higher than humans?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:Well if you take the Hansens into account, humans would have been encountered by the Borg long before Vulcans. Was the Vulcan number higher than humans?
I think so; I don't recall. I do recall that the Ferengi are Species 180, though. That one stuck with me...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:Well if you take the Hansens into account, humans would have been encountered by the Borg long before Vulcans. Was the Vulcan number higher than humans?
I think so; I don't recall. I do recall that the Ferengi are Species 180, though. That one stuck with me...
They get around. :) Or, stumbled into an unstable wormhole. Or simply were in the way of a cube passing through. At any rate for as much as they spread out and try to seek out new opportunities in new places, it is somewhat plausible they'd be encountered earlyish.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Vulcans are higher I think. But even if you take into account ENT, the Borg have been around for thousands of centuries. They should have more numbers than the nearly 9k they do have. They could easily have threw in a few letters and not have to worry about this problem.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:Vulcans are higher I think. But even if you take into account ENT, the Borg have been around for thousands of centuries. They should have more numbers than the nearly 9k they do have. They could easily have threw in a few letters and not have to worry about this problem.
The numbers could be much more limited. They could be "Species with interstellar civilizations", or "Species worthy of assimilation."

We really don't know what criteria are used, but we know they must have some, becuase they don't include EVERY species, only humanoid/intelligent ones. There may be other criteria as well.