UFP vs USA

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:I dont mind a few aliens of the week. I adds credability. But they did need to explore other species more.
I would have preferred that to a crisis-per-episode type plotline. But in fairness it seems like the "development" plotlines that don't have to do with combat and battle also rate pretty poorly in terms of popularity, so it's kind of the fans fault too.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

DS9 almost always wins the polls for most popular series and that had the most development so i wouldnt say its unpopular.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:DS9 almost always wins the polls for most popular series and that had the most development so i wouldnt say its unpopular.
All the popular episodes are the war ones. And DS9 features a war and was the most popular series. Almost all the ones that are pure development don't even rate on people's top 20 episodes from what I've seen. People like the pewpew. ;)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

War is development. It shows politics and character growth and pewpew.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:War is development. It shows politics and character growth and pewpew.
Well yes the war was a plot device that was developed over time but we don't actually need to see five or six minutes of CGI explosions for the war to be developed. Nor does a character grow or deepen as we watch ships explode. ;) When I said pure development I meant more character development... like the episode where Dr. Crusher and Picard have their minds linked on some planet. Though most people would call it a yawnfest.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

we don't actually need to see five or six minutes of CGI explosions for the war to be developed.
YES WE DO! :twisted:

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Screw it, I'm not going through two whole pages of replies. Consider my points conceded.
we don't actually need to see five or six minutes of CGI explosions for the war to be developed.
Well, we might not have needed it, but I don't think anyone would have objected. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think the point is that the war eps of DS9 included both ongoing development (of character and storyline) as well as smash-bang-crash.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Actually if you're still in the thread I wonder if I could get your take on this Rochey
sunnyside wrote:Actually don't you technically live in the UK these days Rochey? Don't you have the option to not work? The health care is socialized and I think there is a solid welfare net. Certianly I bet there is a great system of shelters. And I think there is a sweet unemployment deal if you can get them to fire you.

So why are you teaching?

I'm thinking your answer may parallel that of a lot of people in the Federation. Even if you're able to survive, you want more than living in a soup kitchen, and so you'll work for it. You also don't want to be a loser.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

As I said, points conceded.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Is the Republic of Ireland part of the UK?

Like the new Baltar sig, BTW.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Is the Republic of Ireland part of the UK?
Er, how about "hell no"? Last I heard, the Brits got fed up trying to stop us blowing buildings up, and figured we weren't worth the trouble. Hence the Republic of Ireland.
Like the new Baltar sig, BTW.
Thanks. Can't claim credit for it, though. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I didn't think it was part of the UK. Somebody mentioned the fact of you working/able to participate in unemployment insurance in the UK. Maybe they thought you were from Northern Ireland.
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Er, how about "hell no"? Last I heard, the Brits got fed up trying to stop us blowing buildings up, and figured we weren't worth the trouble. Hence the Republic of Ireland.
They negotiated with terrorists??????!!!!!

;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They should have just let you be. It wouldn't have been too long before you got bored with it and buggered off to the pub.
as Bull offed Custer