UFP vs USA

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Dusk wrote:They negotiated with terrorists??????!!!!!
Yup. Michael Collins and the IRA caused so much trouble that the Brits figured we weren't worth the trouble, and gave us limited independance. That later turned into full independance a few years later rather queitly.
Mikey wrote:They should have just let you be. It wouldn't have been too long before you got bored with it and buggered off to the pub.
Hey, it's what we did after all those other rebellions over the centuries.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:I didn't think it was part of the UK. Somebody mentioned the fact of you working/able to participate in unemployment insurance in the UK. Maybe they thought you were from Northern Ireland.
Yeah I thought he was in the North.

Though the republic of Ireland has socialized health care as well and I think it also has a pretty generous welfare/unemployment system.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah I thought he was in the North.
No, the Republic. Hence why my location is in Irish.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:That later turned into full independance a few years later rather queitly.
Quietly? If I recall my history correctly, De Valera decided to unilateraly alter the terms of the treaty while Westminster was busy arguing over apeasement. And proceded to nick the Treaty Ports while he was at it.

That man seems to have caused so many problems either side of the Irish Sea that both countries would have been better off if we'd shot the bugger while we had the chance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quietly? If I recall my history correctly, De Valera decided to unilateraly alter the terms of the treaty while Westminster was busy arguing over apeasement. And proceded to nick the Treaty Ports while he was at it.
Okay, perhaps it would have been more accurate to say that while you lot were looking the other way, we stole the country and threatened to go running to Hitler if you actualy tried to enforce the treaties we'd both agreed to. :)
That man seems to have caused so many problems either side of the Irish Sea that both countries would have been better off if we'd shot the bugger while we had the chance.
Damn right. Under his leadership, the entire IRA leadership got themselves captured by British forces without a fight. After he was broken out of jail, he buggered off to the US, leaving Collins and his gang to fight the war. By the time he'd gotten back, Collins had won the war, and the Brits had agreed to give Ireland some independance. How does De Valera thank Collins? By setting him up to take the fall when the British didn't agree to make Ireland a sovereign state. And then, just to top it all off, he starts a freaking civil war over a treaty that he knew would be put in place no matter who was in power. :roll:
Gah, you should have shot him when you grabbed him after the Easter Rising.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Gah, you should have shot him when you grabbed him after the Easter Rising.
He was next on the list. Unfortunately the confusion over his US citizenship delayed things, and by the time the matter had been sorted out the executions had been stopped.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Unfortunately, the only knowledge of that chapter in Irish history I have is from the movie Michael Collins, with Liam Neeson. How accurate was that film anyways?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

He was next on the list. Unfortunately the confusion over his US citizenship delayed things, and by the time the matter had been sorted out the executions had been stopped.
Yeah, damn shame.
Unfortunately, the only knowledge of that chapter in Irish history I have is from the movie Michael Collins, with Liam Neeson. How accurate was that film anyways?
The events in it are fairly accurate, but the film does contain a fair bit of bias. I haven't seen it in a good while, but I remember it being fairly okay. The major differences that I can remember are that Harry Boland (Collins' best friend) wasn't killed the way he was in the film, Ned Broy (the informer) wasn't killed, Ned Broy wasn't the informer from Dublin Castle at all (though he did work somewhere else), and that the leaders of the Easter Rising didn't surrender outside the General Post Office as in the start of the film, but in a nearby street when they attempted to escape.
Other than that, I think its a fairly alright rendition.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:The events in it are fairly accurate, but the film does contain a fair bit of bias. I haven't seen it in a good while, but I remember it being fairly okay. The major differences that I can remember are that Harry Boland (Collins' best friend) wasn't killed the way he was in the film, Ned Broy (the informer) wasn't killed, Ned Broy wasn't the informer from Dublin Castle at all (though he did work somewhere else), and that the leaders of the Easter Rising didn't surrender outside the General Post Office as in the start of the film, but in a nearby street when they attempted to escape.
Other than that, I think its a fairly alright rendition.
I loved it, personally. I'm glad it was fairly accurate.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Wow, my one little smart remark sparked off a history lesson. :)

(Not complaining)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I loved it, personally. I'm glad it was fairly accurate.
Yeah, it's a pretty cool film. I show it to my history class when we start doing Irish 20th century history. It pretty much encapsulates what went on from the Easter Rising to the civil war in a neat little package.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wow. Of topicness and educationalness (butchered English there :o )
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.