If you were in a crashing ship, which one?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Also, a harder hull against a weaker hull usually wins.
Which could explain the catostrophic damage to the Odyssey.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:If you can build ships that will take a lot of punishment, then you should do so. While the bugs certainly weren't the heavy hitters of the Dominion fleet, I haven't seen any evidence that they were treated as mass-produced cannon fodder. While the Dominion were certainly prepared to order ships to their destruction if necessary, either to fulfill a tactical role as at 1st Chintoka, or a political one as in the Odyssey Incident, that doesn't mean that such suicidal attacks were the bugs raison d'etre. The fact that they employ sound tactics rather than simply bull-rushing their opponents, and are powerful enough, in groups, to take down a GCS or Defiant shows that.
I see your points, I guess from a few statements I just had different impressions. The Romulans, for instance, saying they preferred to stay on the defensive because they would annihilate Dominion fleets one by one. It didn't sound like bravado, it sounded like that was what they had been doing, it's just that the Dominion was able to mass produce so quickly that in a war of attrition, the Allies would lose. They seemed to more or less perform like BOP's.... in some cases, inferior to BOP's, but of similar size and firepower nonetheless. It would just seem like if you had the resources to mass field huge numbers of BOP size ships, and heavily reinforce them for structural strength... it's kinda begging the question, why not just build a somewhat smaller number of even better, bigger ships?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:It would just seem like if you had the resources to mass field huge numbers of BOP size ships, and heavily reinforce them for structural strength... it's kinda begging the question, why not just build a somewhat smaller number of even better, bigger ships?
Flexibility. No matter how good a ship is, it can only be in one place at a time. Given that, until the AQ war, COIN was probably the Dominion's top priority, it makes sense that numbers rather than massive concentrated firepower would be their priority.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

It is interesting that we got to see crashes of almost every important ship in ST.

GSC as a whole ship I doubt that it would be able to get to the surface in one piece. But the saucer did a very good job, or do they have to thank the pilot for geting them down safely.

Intrepid for a ship designed to land on the surface, it did the worste job than any other ship that ever crashlanded. The whole crew got killed.

We also have the three smaller ship. The Defiant, when it crashed the crew survived. ST4 Kirk did a very good job with the BOP. and there is also the Dominion bug we got to see it crash 3 times and the ship has alwaies be able to get to the surface in one piece.

So it looks like the smaller and compacter a ship is, it is easier to survive a crash.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Intrepid was going a lot faster than any of the other ships we see crash. Most of them are only being pulled by gravity.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Idk about you guys but I'd go for a shuttle. THOSE are designed to be crash landed as far as I can tell...
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Thats why I said the Delta flyer.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Depends what type of crash I say, if you have still got some control then a ship/ shuttle with a relatively flat bottom could skid on open terrain ( or bounce along, think skimming a stone ) while in a no control at all flat out thud it would pretty much do shed loads damage to any ship.
(I think the founder who was alive on board the crashing bug prob tried to at least gain some control of the ship to save themselves from getting stranded on a barren world with no back up.)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!