3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Legs on a woman, buttocks and you know what on a man :wink:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Best alien ever... Tribbles :D
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well they can kick Klingon arse.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Argus was certainly unique.

What do we think of shapeshifters? The Trek version might stretch realism, but some more limited form might be possible, combined with color changing ability.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Any real shapeshifters will be more along the lines of the Clawdites from Star Wars. The ability to change colour, combined with an ability to change their superficial features are the only real plausable options. Of course, why this trait would evolve in the first place is the difficult question.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Of course, why this trait would evolve in the first place is the difficult question.
In response to a predator such as a Chameleon which can change its pigmentation slightly to appear closer to its surroundings in an effort to hide from predators as well as attracting its own food.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The colour changing one would make sense. It's the ability to slightly change form that's the hard one. The colour changing ability allows you to blend into your surroundings. Any realistic shapeshifting ability will be very minor. We won't see animals turning into rocks, or even doing a good impression of a rock. Things like evolving a body that already looks like a rock would win out instead. Any realistic shapeshifting would be limited to superficial things, such as changing how your face looks, or how wrinkled your skin is. Stuff like that has very little effect on hiding from predators, and the easier option of being "pre-hidden" would win out.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

The Indonesian Mimic Octopus, Thaumoctopus mimicus is the best,i can think of
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Something like a blowfish wouldn't count, would it?

How about a snake-like creature disguising itself as a tree limb?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Granite wrote:The Indonesian Mimic Octopus, Thaumoctopus mimicus is the best,i can think of
I don't think that really counts, as I'm talking about vertebrates here. For an invertibrate, such an ability would definitely be useful, though.
Hair wrote:Something like a blowfish wouldn't count, would it?
I don't think so, as it's not really shapeshifting in the sense we're talking about. Really though, I think this is going to be the only real form of shapeshifting we're ever going to see.
How about a snake-like creature disguising itself as a tree limb?
Good point. However, it would be far easier for the snake to be permanently camoflagued, in a similar way to the stick insect. Such a method is better for defence, as you don't need to know you're enemy is there to be hidden, and it doesn't take up any energy at all.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Founders could be possible since we dont know enough about their genetics. The only real stretch for them is the fact they can change size so much.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not sure they'd even be possible. Granted, we know nothing about them, but the idea of them being liquid one minute and solid the next is one hell of a stretch.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

There are some funny alloys that change there state under UV light (ie, constant temp and pressure, yet add uv and goes from solid to liquid. Can't remember the name; I'm not a fan of chemist's fetish with naming things nastily), maybe the Founders have some unknown property that allows them to change somewhat at will.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

stitch626 wrote:There are some funny alloys that change there state under UV light (ie, constant temp and pressure, yet add uv and goes from solid to liquid. Can't remember the name; I'm not a fan of chemist's fetish with naming things nastily), maybe the Founders have some unknown property that allows them to change somewhat at will.
I saw that on one of those Discovery Channel or Learning Channel shows about how they find new materials to use in bulletproof vests. I can't remember the name of the alloy either but yeah they showed it in basically a mush form (soft and flexible) normally, but when exposed to metal it instantly hardens. They were considering it for a possible vest since it would be totally flexible and just when a bullet shot into it would it get hard and protective.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Sounds really cool.