Realistic Aliens?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:To an extent, for a technologically sophisticated species you can't change the basic human form by much. Binocular vision and opposable thumbs in particular are pretty much prerequisites for developing any form of technology, from clubs upwards.
I don't think opposable digits are even really necessary. Tentacles could serve the same purpose.
On topic: Good point.

Off topic: You gave me a flashback of Krang from the Ninja Turtles.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I think "Super Aliens" could be entirely possible, it all depends on how long they have been developing and the environment in which they have evolved.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

KuvahMagh wrote:I think "Super Aliens" could be entirely possible, it all depends on how long they have been developing and the environment in which they have evolved.
I think it's far more likely that in a Trek esque future where we meet different aliens all the time, it will be more a case that their technology will be so exotic it's incompatible with everything we know and use, or operates on different principles to the point where ideas like "more/less advanced" become very overly simplistic. Trek very much adopts the idea of a linear chain of progression very much mirroring our ideas about human development which both the U.S. and Soviets created... that you move from tribalism to this to that to this to that ultimately winding up at capitalism (if you asked the U.S. in 1950) or Communism (if you asked the Soviets in 1950). I never really embraced that idea of linear development and I don't think we'll see it strictly adhered to in the greater universe with aliens, either.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My vote : The Horta.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Barring the Telepathic thing I will say Vulcans.

A species from another more harsh planet would obviously be stronger and be more resiliant.

Their history, one of near destruction then redemption also rings true.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

"You could have just said 'take me to your leader'...."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What the hell is that thing? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Something spawned by my grandmothers cooking by the look of it :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What ever it is its about to get to second base.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:What ever it is its about to get to second base.
There's so little there it's hardly worth it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm doubting it gets a lot of dates.

Probably settles for the wall flowers.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:I'm doubting it gets a lot of dates.

What was that thing anyway? Besides an alien tittie grabber (I have a mental picture of it running around a bar drunk, grabbing random woman).
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Teaos wrote:I'm doubting it gets a lot of dates.

(I have a mental picture of it running around a bar drunk, grabbing random woman).
dont talk about Teaos like that!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'll have you know I'm more of an arse man.