Geordi's eyes

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah, since it was supposed to work like that naturally the planet helped it activate.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like the theory that his mother attracted a disease. Seems most plausible.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's by far one of the most reasonable explainations. His mother contracted something while she was pregnant that hindered his developement.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I don't know enough about how the brain works, but even if his brain was physically capable of seeing images through the eye, would he still have to learn how to interpret them?

Or is anything a brain knows 'hardwired' into it - as opposed to say a computer running a program - therefore the ability to interpret images through the eye could be generated in the brain, as well as a new pair of eyes.

BTW, would that have hurt Geordie? And did he have to remove his artificial eyes or did they pop out?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The fact that he saw through the VISOR it would have helped his brain develope the optical area even if it was in a slightly different way.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't know enough about how the brain works, but even if his brain was physically capable of seeing images through the eye, would he still have to learn how to interpret them?
Unless the problem was with his brain as well as his eyes, his brain would have had no problem interpreting the images. The eyes work by picking up the light reflecting off various things, and that's all that's transmitted to your brain: the different images it sees.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But your brain just cant do things. It needs to work in them and practice.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's quite simple for the brain to detect images, the same way it's easy for it to detect when something is touching the body. The brain knows that a certain object is red, just as it knows that what's touching it is hot. It's a built-in reaction.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The eye may pick up signals and send them to the brain but the brain doesnt really know what its seeing.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It knows it's seeing colours. From that it figures out things like depth perception. From there, all it requires is sentience to be able to figure out what it's looking at actualy is.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

To a certain extent, the brain IS "hardwired" to coordinate with our "standard" sensory organs; my idea was the the metaphasic radiation "reactivated" or regrew those naturally tendencies along with the eyes themselves.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer