How do the Breen eat?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Not really. I could just take a change in diet and eating paterns. If you dont eat enough to form a fat layer you wont get one.
The trait is still there though, so any excess calories will likely go into a fat layer.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite true, Kendall, though they may have had thousands of years. We don't know how long they had civilisation for, how long it took them to form communities, how long it took them to achieve space flight, etc. As soon as they start skinning animals for their fur to wear, then the trait becomes mostly uneccasary. It would definitely take a while, but I'd say it's possible.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Quite true, Kendall, though they may have had thousands of years. We don't know how long they had civilisation for, how long it took them to form communities, how long it took them to achieve space flight, etc. As soon as they start skinning animals for their fur to wear, then the trait becomes mostly uneccasary. It would definitely take a while, but I'd say it's possible.
Like much of Trek, we lack the important details. Most of the races are a result of the Precursors seeding worlds and if the Breen are actually what Weyoun says they are than their probably not that different than us. Maybe they live in cooling suits to prolong their lives, like deep water clams. Assuming Weyoun is even telling the truth.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

If they are used to living in freezing temperatures I doubt they could easily handle hotter temps for any length of time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Most of the races are a result of the Precursors seeding worlds
Quite true, though I tend to ignore that idiocy.
if the Breen are actually what Weyoun says they are than their probably not that different than us. Maybe they live in cooling suits to prolong their lives, like deep water clams. Assuming Weyoun is even telling the truth.
What as it Weyoun said about them?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
What as it Weyoun said about them?
That their world was quite pleasant. I can't remember the episode it was in so it's hard to come up with a quote.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Weyoun was in general a sarcastic bastard, so I would take that comment with a grain (or a thousand) of salt.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That their world was quite pleasant.
Well, there's a few ways we can go with that;

A) We can take this as meaning that the Breen homeworld is quite pleasant, and can support human life quite comfortably. This should mean that the planet isn't actualy the arctic wasteland you'd expect it to be. From this we can infer that the Breen must have evolved somewhere around the poles, and thus in a cold enviroment. Perhaps when they got the technology to keep themselves cold, they moved south/north to the warmer areas. What's surprising about this, though, is that there wasn't any evolutionary group that evolved the capability to live in warmer enviroments. Or perhaps there was, and the cold-enviroment Breen killed them off.

B) Weyoun was being sarcastic, and the planet is inhospitable to human life. This brings us straight back to square one.

C) The world may have been inhospitable to humans, but Weyoun's species can survive in such enviroments quite comfortably, hence why he'd describe it as pleasant.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote: A) We can take this as meaning that the Breen homeworld is quite pleasant, and can support human life quite comfortably. This should mean that the planet isn't actualy the arctic wasteland you'd expect it to be. From this we can infer that the Breen must have evolved somewhere around the poles, and thus in a cold enviroment. Perhaps when they got the technology to keep themselves cold, they moved south/north to the warmer areas. What's surprising about this, though, is that there wasn't any evolutionary group that evolved the capability to live in warmer enviroments. Or perhaps there was, and the cold-enviroment Breen killed them off.
Maybe the Breen homeworld suffered from runaway greenhouses and is now has a nice mild climate.

Personally when I RP in the RP thread I figured the only form of life that could exist without liquids is a sort of mineral-crystaline organism that uses electric currents to perform body functions.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe the Breen homeworld suffered from runaway greenhouses and is now has a nice mild climate.
Quite possible. The Breen don't seem the sort to particularly give a damn about the enviroment until it's too late.
Personally when I RP in the RP thread I figured the only form of life that could exist without liquids is a sort of mineral-crystaline organism that uses electric currents to perform body functions.
I suppose that's possible. After all, we already have numerous crystaline creatures in the Trek universe.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

By pleasent he may not have seen taking about the climate. It could be that the planet has a huge supply of booze and strippers.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Reliant121 wrote:Perhaps the minerals in food is shunted directly into the blood stream...assuming they have blood...
They don't have blood. Said so in the dominion camp. The Romulan said they couldn't test the Breen to see if he was a founder because he didn't have blood.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: They don't have blood. Said so in the dominion camp. The Romulan said they couldn't test the Breen to see if he was a founder because he didn't have blood.
If they come from a cold world or maintain their bodies below a certain temperature they wouldn't be able to have it, it would freeze. Perhaps a biological ant-freeze equivilant would be used.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:If they come from a cold world or maintain their bodies below a certain temperature they wouldn't be able to have it, it would freeze.
Oh duh*smacks own head* I should've thought of that.

I'm not an expert on biology, but is it possible for a complex life form like the breen to exist without blood?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Oh duh*smacks own head* I should've thought of that.

I'm not an expert on biology, but is it possible for a complex life form like the breen to exist without blood?
Perhaps, if they had ammonia or alcohol in it than they could buy themselves survival in far lower temperatures. How cold is their world and suits supposed to be anyways?