How do the Breen eat?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not an expert on biology, but is it possible for a complex life form like the breen to exist without blood?
That depends on all sorts of factors, ranging from the average temperature of their world, to their diet, to their enviroment, to the composition of said blood, etc, etc, etc. Really, we have nothing to go on here.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

well, some believe in the possibility of silicon based lifeforms, would a silicon based lifeform have blood?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No idea. There's no silicone based life on Earth, so we can't really do anything but speculate. Personaly, I'm not too sure such life will ever exist at all, I think the closest would be a creature with a silicone shell or exoskeleton of some sort, whic would indeed have blood.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

my biology degree didn't swerve towards xenobiology, but if anyone ever fancies a good chat about moss.........lol
silicon based life,hmm the mind boggles
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:No idea. There's no silicone based life on Earth, so we can't really do anything but speculate. Personaly, I'm not too sure such life will ever exist at all, I think the closest would be a creature with a silicone shell or exoskeleton of some sort, whic would indeed have blood.
I made a thread a long time ago asking what other kinds of life could exist besides Carbon and Silicon, I may bump that.

I think they found evidence of a silicon life form in a steam vent but they weren't sure what they got. But I might be thinking of a silicone life form at the playboy mansion.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You wouldn't happen to have a link to something about that steam vent, would you? I'd be interested in learing more about that.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

No, it was on one of those crazy TV shows about aliens or something. It was 'evidence' and those shows usually over exaggerate what they find anyway.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, right. I tend not to put much stock in those shows, unless I see some actual credentials from the 'experts' they wheel out for them.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Nor do I. Hence the disclaimer above. BUT, it would be cool.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I remember hearing about that as well. They're these weird tube-shaped things that live at undersea thermal vents called "black smokers". Whatever they are, it's sure impressive that they can live in 400 degree C water.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

No, the tube things are a variety of worm. Very weird, but wholly organic.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I'm seeing now that they are classed as annelids. Maybe the story was about some other crap that lives down there, but I don't think there's any evidence of silicon-based life on earth, except maybe these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, dude, but diatoms are organic, too. They have silicate, rather than cellulose, cell walls - but they are organic algae.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I know. I just find it interesting that they can incorporate silicon into their biology at all.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I suppose - but is it any weirder than incorporating calcified internal structures?
as Bull offed Custer