Maps

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I did find it odd that the Romulan Empire was so small in 2373, considering their influence, as Seafort notes. Specifically, Sisko considered them to be powerful enough that they would significantly alter the odds in the Dominion War.

Graham's map is constrained by the fact that Deneb, a real star whose position is known, is known to be in Federation space by 2374. This puts a lower limit on the western expanse of the Federation, unless we assume as some others have that the Federation is split among a number of smaller bubbles of space.

The Tholians and Gorn to seem big. If they were of that size, they would have merited mention during the Dominion War.

It is a problem, as someone noted above, is that the map is a two dimensional representation of entities that exist in three dimensions. This problem is unavoidable, of course. The fact that our galaxy is a disk only a thousand LY think, however, does help matters to a significant degree, especially when it comes to powers like the UFP and KE that are far more than 1000LY in their longest dimension.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Tholians and Gorn to seem big. If they were of that size, they would have merited mention during the Dominion War.
Why? They stayed neutral, so there was no reason to talk of them. Had the Romulans remained neutral, then there wouldn't be much talk of them, either.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I just thought there might be some thought to enlisting their aid if they were big enough to make any difference
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, the Tholians are an obvious no-go. Any ship sent in to make contact with them would likely come back in several thousand pieces.
The Gorn appear to be similarly hostile to the Federation, which isn't that surprising given their last encounters.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

There's no indication that the Dominion would have stopped at the Federation... though if they did defeat the Federation, no other AQ power would stand a chance. It seems the Tholians/Gorn don't believe in the lesser of two evils.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite true. However, people don't always go for the most rational decision. During WW2, for example, several nations in Europe were taken over by Germany and it's allies, long after they knew of Hitler's expansionist ideals. They didn't ally themselves with the US or Britain, they stayed neutral and hoped that they wouldn't get attacked. Some countries were right, and didn't get invaded. Others were wrong and did.
This is probably the same thing. The Tholians and Gorn probably think that if they stay neutral, they'll be left alone.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I just watched "A Call to Arms" last night, and they mention a non-aggression pact between the Dominion and the Tholians.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Thats another thing that annoys me. How could the Dominion contact the Tholians when they would have to pass through Federation space to get there?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Thats another thing that annoys me. How could the Dominion contact the Tholians when they would have to pass through Federation space to get there?
Subspace Radio.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Teaos wrote:Thats another thing that annoys me. How could the Dominion contact the Tholians when they would have to pass through Federation space to get there?
Subspace Radio.
They have that? :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not a great way to settle a contract. And couldn't the Feds block them? Looking at the map the space between the Dominion and Tholians is the Federation core worlds.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Not a great way to settle a contract.
The Earth-Romulan war was concluded by a treaty negotiated by subspace radio.
And couldn't the Feds block them?
If they knew about it and the direction it was being transmitted in. I doubt the Dominion is going to tell them though, they'd also risk jamming their own transmissions in the area.
Looking at the map the space between the Dominion and Tholians is the Federation core worlds.
Maybe they had a Founder smuggled in by freighter, maybe they sent a ship above the Galactic Disc and into Tholian space. The radio scenario is just the least complicated.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We've seen ships slip through Fed territory a ridiculous number of times. It wouldn't be beyond belief to imagine a Dominion ship going to meet the Tholians and slipping through Fed space.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I suppose. I bet that NAP didnt help Federation/Thoilian relations any though.

KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Don't forget that in For the Cause Kassidy expected to rendezvous with a Tholian Freighter near the Badlands on the opposite side of the Federation from the Tholians, they could have secretly transported their representatives like that.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus