Torpedo tubes.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Torpedo tubes.

Post by mlsnoopy »

Basicly how big are they. The Ditl only talks abaut hoow many torpedos they can fire.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

The tube itself or the entire launcher and magazine?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

A standard tube is a little bigger than a torpedo (this is all my opinion, mind you). The tubes that fire multiple torpedoes are larger to support all of the torps at the same time.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I imagin the tube would be the size of the torpedo it fires. The whole thing including loading/magazine ect would be rather larger.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd make a guess at the tubes being slightly longer than the torp itself, judging from what I know of subs and their torps.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Does anyone know where to get hold of a floorplan of the torpedo bay from ST2? Since the port airlock opens directly into the bay, that gives us a fixed point to measure the bay forwards from. The distance between the forward edge of the bay and the front of the pod would give us the length of the tube itself.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But was that a standard tube? Maybe they had a special one for offical occasions such as funnerals and probe launchs. So that people could work on the pay load.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

They were using the same room during the battle, although there are a few issues with some scenes. Cadets marching straight out the airlock, and Spock's torpedo coffin being launched from the disabled port tube being a couple of them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Hmm. Potential trouble. Using an image from EAS, I've measured the distance from the forward edge of the airlock to the front of the laucher to be 20 m, and the diametre of the airlock to be 3.25 m. This latter is a lot bigger than it appears in the film - I'd eyeballed it as 2-2.5 m, tops. Ideas, anyone?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps the hatch itself is bigger than the actual tube? *shrug*
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'm refering to the portal Kirk & Co boarded the ship through - it's slightly smaller in diametre than the height of the travel pod they used, which is itself (going by comparisons to Kirk) something like 2.7 m tall (looks like I understimated it slightly). So either the diagram has overestimated the diameter by a bit over 15%, or the refit E-nil is almost 50 m shorter than previously thought.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, right.
In that case, I haven't a clue.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well... either ones a posability, though I would prefer to think that the diagram was wrong.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Problem solved - the diagram renders the airlock too large relative to the torpedo pod when compared with the E-nil in TMP. Unfortunately the TMP image I used was taken at an angle looking forwards, rather than square-on, renering it unsuitable for the original calculation. Back to the drawing board I guess.

BTW stitch, I like the new av. :)