A matter of gramatical correctness

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well the practical reason is it makes it stand out more and gives it more authority in a sentence.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

All I'm pointing out is that we don't capitalise the names of species (eg, dog, dolphin, monkey, etc). It's correct that certain, for lack of a better word, breeds within a species should be capitalised (eg, Rotweiler, Alsation, Dobberman, etc), so Romulan should be capitalised, as it is a sub-species of the vulcan species (no capital). So when speaking of the species itself there shouldn't really be a capital. Eg, "klingons are stronger than humans". That refers to the species, not a specfic breed, or a person from a certain nation. Correct?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:All I'm pointing out is that we don't capitalise the names of species (eg, dog, dolphin, monkey, etc). It's correct that certain, for lack of a better word, breeds within a species should be capitalised (eg, Rotweiler, Alsation, Dobberman, etc), so Romulan should be capitalised, as it is a sub-species of the vulcan species (no capital). So when speaking of the species itself there shouldn't really be a capital. Eg, "klingons are stronger than humans". That refers to the species, not a specfic breed, or a person from a certain nation. Correct?
Actually, Rochey, we capitalize words like "Rottweiler," "Alsatian," etc., because they are named for proper nouns - usually place names. By that convention, Romulan should be capped (for the planet Romulus) but klingon should not. I tend to still think the idea is that there is now more than one sentient species, so we cap all the names as a matter of policy.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:All I'm pointing out is that we don't capitalise the names of species (eg, dog, dolphin, monkey, etc). It's correct that certain, for lack of a better word, breeds within a species should be capitalised (eg, Rotweiler, Alsation, Dobberman, etc), so Romulan should be capitalised, as it is a sub-species of the vulcan species (no capital). So when speaking of the species itself there shouldn't really be a capital. Eg, "klingons are stronger than humans". That refers to the species, not a specfic breed, or a person from a certain nation. Correct?
True, but then you get examples such as "could the Klingons beat the Federation?", where you're refering to the political entity of the Klingon Empire, and so should be capitalised.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe the Federation language of the future is based partly on German, and they started to just randomly capitalize all nouns?

Remember, as JFK once said in a famous bit of German: "I am a jelly doughnut."
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I tend to still think the idea is that there is now more than one sentient species, so we cap all the names as a matter of policy.
That could explain it. It would make them seem more important, and differentiate sapient species from others.
Eh? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:
Eh? :?
"Ich bin ein Berliner", I believe. However for Berlin, though not for any other city, that's correct grammar.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

While speaking in Berlin, John F. Kennedy decided to make a point of solidarity by saying a phrase in German - Ich bin Berliner, "I am a Berliner." What he said instead was Ich bin ein Berliner. Use of the article ein denotes that the noun that follows is a common, rather than proper, noun - and the common-noun definition of berliner is "jelly doughnut." So, JFK stood at the Berlin Wall and in a show of camaraderie with Germany, said, "I am a jelly doughnut."
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:laughroll:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Amusing as it may be, the "jelly doughnut" myth is just that - a myth. While most German cities inhabitants use the "ich bin..." formation, in Berlin "ich bin ein Berliner" is the correct grammar. Why that is I don't know - you'd have to ask a German.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aw, damn. :(
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

About species, dog is not a species, it is a common term used to describe those of the Canus genus (note capitalization). Scientifically, you capitalize the genus and species. also, human is a common term, Homo Sapien (or Terran, which is supposed to be capitalized) is the species. Therefore, it is my position that Klingon, Romulan... are species names and thus, are correct to be capitalized.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, good thinking.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:About species, dog is not a species, it is a common term used to describe those of the Canus genus (note capitalization). Scientifically, you capitalize the genus and species. also, human is a common term, Homo Sapien (or Terran, which is supposed to be capitalized) is the species. Therefore, it is my position that Klingon, Romulan... are species names and thus, are correct to be capitalized.
If we want to be anal, practically all the races in Trek are the same species, as they can breed together. Try breeding a dog&cat and see how far that goes.