one-off awesome 'Trek concepts.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

one-off awesome 'Trek concepts.

Post by Tsukiyumi »

First in my head is the Voth. Then, there's the Shelliac (which I mentioned in another thread), the Dyson Sphere, the Husnock, the Devore, the parasite invasion (yes, I know, the concept was changed into the Borg), the Prometheus-class, and the race at the center of the galaxy (don't quite remember their name off-hand).

Anyone else think these concepts were cool, and deserved more than just one-shot episodes?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

The Kelvins, in their natural form would be an interesting revist.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There you go. Another one-off bad-ass species. They came from another galaxy to just... What? Compete in martial-art tournaments (Worf's comment. Unless there was a Federation-Kelvan war that we never heard of, I'm assuming that he meant in a fight)?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I agree with you. They could have had many episodes based on all of these "aliens of the week". Too bad.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:There you go. Another one-off bad-ass species. They came from another galaxy to just... What? Compete in martial-art tournaments (Worf's comment. Unless there was a Federation-Kelvan war that we never heard of, I'm assuming that he meant in a fight)?
Strangely enough, I've never seen that episode.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The aliens out of TNG's Conspiracy - although technically it was 2 episodes :)

Not too late for them to make a comeback, given the end of the episode.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

The Gorn also come to mind, some development relating to their culture/history/background would be nice, along with the Tholians who have been mentioned but have never really been explored since.

As to the Prometheus, we know that a design which has an identical outward appearance is still in use in the 2500s, along with a design which is outwardly identical to the Dauntless from Voyager...

To be fair though I'm not sure the Prometheus is a one off just yet, it was still in testing (only 4 people knew how to fly it) just a year before the War ends so its entirely possible that it would not reach production until after the War ended or shortly before its conclusion. It most likely will be but I wouldn't say it is there yet.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

kostmayer wrote:The aliens out of TNG's Conspiracy - although technically it was 2 episodes :)

Those were the Parasite Aliens which as was mentioned above were morphed into the Borg.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

kostmayer wrote:The aliens out of TNG's Conspiracy - although technically it was 2 episodes :)

Tsukiyumi mentioned them (parasite invasion). I can't recall any more examples, though I've been thinking about it since I first read this post.

Despite the fact they became the Borg, this still looks like one of the biggest hanging threads in Trek... the parasites canonically are still out there.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Strangely enough, I've never seen that episode.
Worf makes an off-hand comment about "defeating Kelvan warriors twice my size" in an episode of DS9 when he and Jadzia have to watch the O'Brian infant. It's really the only other time they're mentioned.

The Gorn and the Tholians are other prime offenders as far as lack of material. With so many of these major races in close proximity, why does it seem like there's a Klingon around every corner and a million unnamed races trolling around DS9?

I just remembered Tin Man and the Doomsday Machine. Though, those are a easier to explain.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Worf makes an off-hand comment about "defeating Kelvan warriors twice my size" in an episode of DS9 when he and Jadzia have to watch the O'Brian infant. It's really the only other time they're mentioned.
Kirk does convince them to settle on a planet in our galaxy, I presume that any follow up Kelvans also settled there.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

There's also the um... Junior creature.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I was going to mention the Gorn/Tholians, but wasn't quite sure if they fit. At any rate, we did see them again in Enterprise.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

stitch626 wrote:There's also the um... Junior creature.
The what?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

When the E-D had that spacefaring life-form latch on, thinking the ship was it's mother (if I recall correctly).