Boneheaded Captain moves.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Boneheaded Captain moves.

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Which captain was the most reckless? Which captain made more bonehead moves? Would Kirk bone Janeway, or slap her silly? We can find out here! List as many bonehead moves from each capitan as you can!

Pick your favorite bonehead captain!

Kirk: brashly charging into situations no captain had seen before!

Picard: Boldly talking the enemy to death with more PC rhetoric than a Hillary Clinton rally!

Sisko: David Koreshing his way into more religious conflicts than any captain before or after him!

Janeway: Just like a woman to completely change their plans at a whim!

Archer: Quantum Leap was great; too bad I can't do it to go back and fix the show!

Please, hold your applause until the end of the show.

On your marks, get set...

GO!
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Strange but thinking about it Archer really didnt bugger up that much. Nothing major that I can think of. But then I kind of blocked the show out of my memories.

Picard: Goading Q into throwing him across the Galaxy to face the Borg.

Janeway: Ever hear of a time delay? Use that on the caretaker array.

Sisko: Going against SF and telling Bajor not to join the Federation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd really say not being more careful and gaining more intel on the Gamma Quadrant was Sisko's biggest bonehead move.

I think Archer really had the least to work with, especially in terms of knowledge, so he deserves the most latitude.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Was Sisko the one in charge of mapping the Gamma quadrant?

He did get the cloaking device and search around there.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I just mean he was the commander of the station at the mouth of the wormhole, so he should've sent more teams (I'm thinking several teams of two to three runabouts on a frequent basis) out to get the lay of the land. The Dominion shouldn't have been some huge mysterious surprise when they were finally encountered.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:Strange but thinking about it Archer really didnt bugger up that much. Nothing major that I can think of. But then I kind of blocked the show out of my memories.
Come to think of it, I can't really come up with anything for Archer either. He was actually pretty competant, and if he did do something stupid, it was probably a one off thing. Hey, even the best have their off days.

Let's see about the others:

Picard: preaching, stubborn, doofus.

Janeway: biggist hypocrite in Starfleet

Sisko: his long-term mission was to get Bajor to join the Federation. He told Bajor not to join(which did work out in the long-run) and no sign of them joining at the end of the series. Mission status: epic fail
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sisko's mission turned out to be something greater than getting Bajor to join the Federation. He prevented it's destruction, and possibly the destruction of the AQ at least (I assume the Q would stop the pah-wraith in all-out war). He failed his primary mission, but accomplished a much greater one.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Sisko's mission turned out to be something greater than getting Bajor to join the Federation. He prevented it's destruction, and possibly the destruction of the AQ at least (I assume the Q would stop the pah-wraith in all-out war). He failed his primary mission, but accomplished a much greater one.
That kind of reminds of that Disney movie Mulan, which came out when I was a kid, when she misses the big bad leader but wipes out almost the entire Hun army.

It's 10:30 PM here, so forgive me for going off on a tangent there.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Haven't seen it (I'm OLD), but the concept of the hero achieving a goal they didn't even know they had, that ends up being more important than their personal goals is a concept I love in fiction.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Thats pretty much the whole point of Pullmans "His dark materials" trilogy. Which if you havent read them are fantastic books.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Thanks, Teaos. I'll check that out.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Picard: Allowing the Borg to survive.

Sisko: Stopping Bajor from joining the UFP.

Janeway: Oh, jesus, where do I start? Getting stranded in the ass end of the galaxy. Pissing off numerous alien races. Letting the Borg survive. Starting a war with a powerful alien race. Appointing the galaxy's biggest shithead to be the Federation's ambassador to the DQ. Etc, etc, etc.

Oddly enough, I can't think of any stupid mistakes Archer really made. I suppose that bit where he refused to give a cure to an alien race, and thus let them all die was the worst.
Can't think of anything for Kirk, either. Any mistakes he really made never had that much of a serious impact.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Oddly enough, I can't think of any stupid mistakes Archer really made. I suppose that bit where he refused to give a cure to an alien race, and thus let them all die was the worst.
Yeh, I was going to mention that one myself - as bad as Picard in Homeward. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other serious bog-ups by Archer, but then I haven't seen all that much of Enterprise.
Can't think of anything for Kirk, either. Any mistakes he really made never had that much of a serious impact.
ST2 - failing to raise shields when the Reliant approached, out-of-area and failing to answer hails, especially when they turned out to be lying about equipment malfunction, and then raised shields.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

At lest in Homeworld Picard had the Prime Directive to hide behind. Archer had no reason to.

mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Picard: Allowing the Borg to survive.
So the biggest mistake was that he didn't commite genocide.
Sisko: Stopping Bajor from joining the UFP.
And preventing another ocupation, stoping millions of Bajorans from getting killed.