Startrek military refrences

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Startrek military refrences

Self-explanitory.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Wow, I knew some of Gene's original ideas where out to lunch but his concept for the original pilot's crew is pretty out there.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It also mentions one of the primary objections I have with SF, that almost everyone in command of a vessel is a Post Captain. Which means there's a fair amount of officers that are missing out on command experiance gained from commanding smaller vessels.

For example in a RL Navy a patrol boat may be commanded by a Lt. And as vessel size increase so does the CO's rank. A frigate may be commanded by a Lt. Commander.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wasn't JFK a Lt. when he commanded PT-109?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Wasn't JFK a Lt. when he commanded PT-109?
Yes as a Lt (JG).

And John Kerry commanded a Swift Boat (a large PBR) in Vietnam as a Lt (JG).
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:It also mentions one of the primary objections I have with SF, that almost everyone in command of a vessel is a Post Captain. Which means there's a fair amount of officers that are missing out on command experiance gained from commanding smaller vessels.

For example in a RL Navy a patrol boat may be commanded by a Lt. And as vessel size increase so does the CO's rank. A frigate may be commanded by a Lt. Commander.
I got to agree there. The only times we've seen someone lower then Captain commanding a vessel that I can think of is the first Prometheus(the Nebula class one) with a Lt. Cmd. and the Defiant with Jadzia, Worf, Kira(still doesn't make sense there).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I was actually going to say Lt. jg, but I wasn't positive - it's been a long time since I read Donovan's book.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sisko also commanded DS9 as a Commander.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
I got to agree there. The only times we've seen someone lower then Captain commanding a vessel that I can think of is the first Prometheus(the Nebula class one) with a Lt. Cmd. and the Defiant with Jadzia, Worf, Kira(still doesn't make sense there).
Yeah, and Data was there because of a shortage of officers.

Sisko also commanded DS9 as a Commander.
Which is even more bizarre, it's essentially a Foriegn Station and should be commanded by a full Captain (at least) or an Admiral.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Up until the Wormhole got discovered DS9 was a hunk of junk that the Cardassians had stripped before leaving. It had no real value apart from a pit stop for ships. No reason to make a big deal about it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Up until the Wormhole got discovered DS9 was a hunk of junk that the Cardassians had stripped before leaving. It had no real value apart from a pit stop for ships. No reason to make a big deal about it.
And other than the fact that Sisko was essentially a burnout, why didn't he get promoted when the station became more important, or why wasn't a CO put in of the appopriate rank.

Don't forget that even though DS9 was in a backwater, it was the only Federation outpost in the area. That mreits more than a Commander.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Honestly I think Starfleet didnt give a crap about DS9 or that part of space. It reminds be of books I've read set in the 1800's where if someone was getting trouble some they would give them a posting in Australia or Africa. Get them out of the way in some place you dont care about.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Honestly I think Starfleet didnt give a crap about DS9 or that part of space. It reminds be of books I've read set in the 1800's where if someone was getting trouble some they would give them a posting in Australia or Africa. Get them out of the way in some place you dont care about.
Good point. Sisko wasn't exactly in the top third of his grade was he?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always thought they should have played up the "Sisko as burn-out" more in DS9. You could make the case that he got that posting because it was seen as an unimportant job that Starfleet was only making a token effort towards. With the wormhole the place suddenly jumped in importance - but at that point Starfleet can't reasonably replace Sisko, because he's now the Emissary to the prophets. Imagine calling the Bajorans up and telling them he's being fired?! No way.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I always thought they should have played up the "Sisko as burn-out" more in DS9. You could make the case that he got that posting because it was seen as an unimportant job that Starfleet was only making a token effort towards. With the wormhole the place suddenly jumped in importance - but at that point Starfleet can't reasonably replace Sisko, because he's now the Emissary to the prophets. Imagine calling the Bajorans up and telling them he's being fired?! No way.
He can be the XO and the Emissary, I don't recall that being the CO was a requirement for the Bajoran religion.

Edit: Your right though, they should have played up the burn-out angle. A few references to how he used too be top-third and is now in the bottom or some alcohol problems would have done nicely.