Startrek military refrences

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I believe this was addressed in one DS9 episode where Jadzia commanded the Defiant and Nog wasnt sure what to call her.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:I believe this was addressed in one DS9 episode where Jadzia commanded the Defiant and Nog wasnt sure what to call her.
What did he end up doing?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Jadzia said that so long as she is in command of the ship she is Captain. Said it was tradition.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:Jadzia said that so long as she is in command of the ship she is Captain. Said it was tradition.
Good call, I'd like to see them break out "Skipper" once and a while. They are all one big happy fleet after all.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think I can hear skipper and not think of Gilligans Island.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I'd like to hear someone on the bridge of the E-E call Picard "skipper" of this "boat." :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Interesting read. It didn't talk about how Gene hated the new uniforms and the director of Star Trek II never really was a trekie fan and wanted to rework the series. I for one am glad he did.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:Interesting read. It didn't talk about how Gene hated the new uniforms and the director of Star Trek II never really was a trekie fan and wanted to rework the series. I for one am glad he did.
Yeah I noticed that, Gene's general concept of Trek was good but he seemed to have the kiss of death when he had any say in it. TMP and the first 2(3?) seasons of TNG for example.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Also, the better Trek always seemed to conincide with the more overtly military Starfleet - I consider II and VI to be the best films, and late DS9 (series 4/5 onwards) to be the best series.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Captain Seafort wrote:Trek always seemed to get better (at least in my eyes) when Starfleet got more overtly military - I consider II and VI to be the best films, and late DS9 (series 4/5 onwards) to be the best series.
Very true, I think part of that really has more to do with our ability to relate to the ideas it is representing. It is hard for us as a culture to relate to the idea of TRULY using Force as a last resort, I mean look at Iraq, you must destroy all wmds... whats that you say, you have, okay all of your conventional weapons, we want to know where they are, oh you'll do that, well we don't like your mustache shave it off... wait you won't... of course you know this means War...

Even when we say Force as a last resort we really don't do it. Of course on the other side of the argument you have appeasement and all of the problems that has caused.

On a side note it was Nog and O'Brien, not Jadzia that were discussing what to call Jadzia, Nog realized that if he were forced to take Command that he would be called a Captain too to which O'brian informed him that if he had to take Command there would be no one left to call him Captain.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

KuvahMagh wrote:Very true, I think part of that really has more to do with our ability to relate to the ideas it is representing. It is hard for us as a culture to relate to the idea of TRULY using Force as a last resort, I mean look at Iraq, you must destroy all wmds... whats that you say, you have, okay all of your conventional weapons, we want to know where they are, oh you'll do that, well we don't like your mustache shave it off... wait you won't... of course you know this means War...
To be fair, Iraq hardly counts as "war as a last resort" so much as a confused combination of WMDs, various UN resolutions, Saddam's an evil SOB, "he tried to kill my Dad", 9/11, and various juvenille nonsense.

Also, the Feds aren't exactly "war as a last resort" folks so much as "war as a last resort unless we've got overwhelming firepower". See their treatment of the Maquis.
On a side note it was Nog and O'Brien, not Jadzia that were discussing what to call Jadzia, Nog realized that if he were forced to take Command that he would be called a Captain too to which O'brian informed him that if he had to take Command there would be no one left to call him Captain.
Which episode was this in? Sounds like O'Brien forgot that Nog outranks him.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Pretty sure it was the Ep where Sisko becomes Ross's Assistant and they send the Defiant out to destroy the Sensor Array, Nog was just promoted to Ensign when O'Brian comments on how he hadn'ty realised things were going so bad which is whats starts the conversation.

I thought about the rank thing actually and had it written in but then I thought that O'Brian was Chief Engineer basically and although not a Line Officer would likely assume Command from his experience, remember he was the Tactical Officer aboard the Rutledge. In strict terms Nog would assume Command from the basic fact that he outranks him but Starfleet has made O'Brian what appears to be a Chief Tactical Officer, Chief Operations/Engineer Officer and in the end sent him to be an instructor at Starfleet Academy, it makes you wonder sometimes why they bother with ranks at all if they are going to do what they do with appointments.

As to Iraq thats what I meant, we live in a society that, arguable of course, preaches War as a last resort but rarely lives up to those claims. I think that Preaching is foolish, the simple equation for going to war really should be, what action will best protect my citizens & sovereignty, sometimes that means getting between two factions like in Cyprus (the begining) to avoid a War between the Turks and the Greeks which would have played right into the USSR's court and helped to split up the allies, and sometimes it means staying out of an internal conflict which while tragic has no end in sight and would just cause further problems, especially if any intervention was half hearted.

In the end the world needs to wake up and realise that unarmed observers while somewhat valuable from an Intel standpoint can't do the job of armed troops on the ground who can actually seperate factions and back up their words. Keep in mind that many of these types of missions happen in places where a gun is the judge, jury and executioner, to go in unarmed is like going to a bar underage, its just a sensless waste of time and you end up walking out depressed...
Last edited by KuvahMagh on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Which episode was this in? Sounds like O'Brien forgot that Nog outranks him.
Nog was still a cadet at the time. I'm not sure how ranks work IRL but I think even enlisted still outrank cadets.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Nog was still a cadet at the time. I'm not sure how ranks work IRL but I think even enlisted still outrank cadets.
Indeed, an officer cadet is lower than a Private in Basic.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I'm pretty sure Nog was made an Ensign which is what sparked the Conversation, anyways I'm going to rewatch it now and confirm/deny that was the case at the time.

Edit:

It seems as though I was wrong, he was still a Cadet at this point.

I've seen so many of the epsiodes so much that they all sort of Blur together after a while lol.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus