What exactly IS the neck pinch?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Maybe it's some sort of martial arts technique that creates a shock through the actual nerves, rather then the nervus system itself. One of the things we've seen in almost if not all species is the ability to feel sensations on their skin, like pain. The 'nerve pinch' could send this 'pinch' through the nerves that way rather then a specific point. The neck/face area may be the best locations in general as they tend to be near the brain which tends to be in the head.
Yes, but requiring locality to the brain means that the central nervous system must be involved; which involvement your first sentence says isn't necessary.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Maybe it's some sort of martial arts technique that creates a shock through the actual nerves, rather then the nervus system itself. One of the things we've seen in almost if not all species is the ability to feel sensations on their skin, like pain. The 'nerve pinch' could send this 'pinch' through the nerves that way rather then a specific point. The neck/face area may be the best locations in general as they tend to be near the brain which tends to be in the head.
Yes, but requiring locality to the brain means that the central nervous system must be involved; which involvement your first sentence says isn't necessary.
I'm sorry, it was the middle of the night so I guess I wasn't thinking my post through. What I was trying to say was that the outer nerves were the key, not the system itself, since I doubt all species have a centralized system like humans do. So it's not so much a nerve pinch as a nerve punch I guess. Am I making any sense?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A little more than last time. :) But due to the lack of any OTHER motor function effects, I would guess that the neck pinch actually depends on affecting the central, rather than peripheral, nervous system.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:A little more than last time. :) But due to the lack of any OTHER motor function effects, I would guess that the neck pinch actually depends on affecting the central, rather than peripheral, nervous system.
Maybe it creates something like a brief feedback loop generated in your peripheral nervous system, forcing your entire nervous system to do a 'reboot'. Is that possible?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I get what you're saying. However - and bear in mind that I'm no neurosurgeon - I would guess that such an effect in the peripheral nervous system would affect motor function; but to affect consciousness, the central nervous system would need to be involved. This may explain in part why the "Vulcan neck pinch" is, in fact, the "Vulcan NECK pinch."
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm not exactly an expert at these techniques, but I am familiar with the excecution. I thought this might shed some light on the concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_points

Like I said before, the idea that this would work in the same spot on so many species is a bit of a stretch.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Actually, the bundle of nerves in the neck that would be affected by the nerve pinch is very similar in almost all mammals and many birds and reptiles on Earth.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:Actually, the bundle of nerves in the neck that would be affected by the nerve pinch is very similar in almost all mammals and many birds and reptiles on Earth.
Would that affect gross motor function, or consciousness itself?
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I don't know, I haven't tried it yet :)

From what I've read, there are several nerve clusters in the neck that, depending on the pressure angle and intensity, can cause anything from mild discomfort to long term spinal damage and unconsciousness.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If that is the case, then the neck pinch can be attributed more to a Vulcan martial-art style rather than an innate racial ability... and there should be species which are immune due to physiological differences.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Like Data.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Obviously, but I was referring to organic species with a different nevous architecture.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tribbles, perhaps...
I like tribbles :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

stitch626 wrote:Tribbles, perhaps...
I like tribbles :P
Well, I guess you can't do a neck pinch on something that has no neck! :)
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I thought it was telepathic since a Nerve pinch wouldnt work on different species with different biology.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.