If Star Trek were to introduce another massive Empire...

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

a common birth defect is anomalous boney calcifications on the skull, doesn't mean we had satanic ancestory just because we have 'horns' :D
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't know, my dad was a lot like the christian 'devil'... :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:Humans are capable of surviving in anaboric (i think that's the word, lack of oxygen) environments for brief periods of time.
Anaerobic? Rochey answered this, q.v.
There is some evidence though. Webbed fingers and feet are much more common than tails when tails are closer to our genetic ancestry than webbed didgets are.
You mean tails are more common in vertebrate history. Our direct ancestors, going back to the lesser apes, are the ones who, as part of their separation from previous generations, dispensed with the tail. And my dog has slightly webbed toes, too. All that means is that he's got some retriever in him, not that he's descended directly from a fish, and he is patently NOT an aquatic animal.
Granitehewer wrote:a common birth defect is anomalous boney calcifications on the skull, doesn't mean we had satanic ancestory just because we have 'horns'
Despite what St. Jerome tried to tell you... :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

now mikey, we mustn't be too one sided...it works both ways, i'm sure after eating christian babies in your one-world bank,you preach bigotry about others :P
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As the great comedian Lewis Black (I know, a Jewish comedian - could you imagine?) once said, and I'm paraphrasing - we don't kidnap Christian children during Passover to eat them or sacrifice them... we kidnap them and MAKE THEM WORK FOR US. After all, someone has to turn the on the lights on Saturday.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

antisemitism for me,is groundless, i mean, really, put two jewish guys in a room, you get three points of view, since there is such divergence in religious interpretation and culture amongst the jewish communities, there seems little unifying force,to tar them all with the same brush
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:
Actualy, all humans have a tail bone.
And all Dolphins have fingers. I'm not denying that humans at one point had a tail. I'm saying that humans have a greater possibility of being born with webbed fingers or toes than they do with a tail. An actual tail, not a tail bone.
Have you ever seen someone with no experience in water falling into a deep river or off a boat? The reason we are able to swim is due to our relative lightness, and the fact that we can train ourselves to move our bodies in certain ways.
Just like dogs humans can naturally swim. It may not be the most graceful of things but an adult human can swim.

So is any creature. It's called holding your breath. :wink:
Its not universal. Humans can generate ATP using lactic acid. Not sure exactly how it works but its where our second wind comes in.

I think its important to know as much as you can about all far fetched theories. Maybe I'll start a thread about a different one...
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

After a thread in here derails and I leave, sometimes I click on the "most recent post" thing just to see where all the cars landed.

Did we somehow get to the new power in the galaxy being Jews in Space?

*reads a little*

huh, no it seems that just came out of the blue.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

wow there was a 6th page I totally missed.

Those bony horns on some people's heads really freak me out. Those and the people who have all that excess skin. I saw a lot of weird head shapes in the military.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm saying that humans have a greater possibility of being born with webbed fingers or toes than they do with a tail.
And? How does this genetic deformity prove that humans are (de?)evolving into sea creatures? What possible mechanism would cause this?
Just like dogs humans can naturally swim. It may not be the most graceful of things but an adult human can swim.
I'll repeat:
Have you ever seen someone who does not know how to swim falling into deep water? I have, and had we not gotten the poor guy out he would quickly have drowned. A person, or species, who has no knowledge of how to swim is screwed in the presence of water.
And yes, it's an odd fact that human infants can swim instinctively, but this is hardly proof of an aquatic future.

Its not universal.
You're right that it's not universal. But the point remains that many creatures can survive without air for certain periods of time.
I think its important to know as much as you can about all far fetched theories.
Why? Things such as this are so far-fetched they're completely irrelevant to know about. Had a colegue not joked about this very same thing just the other day, I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about.
Although I would be able to see its flaws just as easily.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:Its not universal. Humans can generate ATP using lactic acid. Not sure exactly how it works but its where our second wind comes in.
Lactic acid is a by-product of muscle contraction. I think what you're referring to is anaerobic excercise, which means muscle function without immediate oxygen replenishment. However, this doesn't mean that a human can survive without an oxygen source for much longer than he can hold his breath - your brain, for example, cannot function anaerobically.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

BTW -
sunnyside wrote:Did we somehow get to the new power in the galaxy being Jews in Space?
No, someone made a reference to the "horns" that some people exhibit, and I made a joke about the Vulgate's malicious misinterpretation. There is a movie thread, if you want to post something about History of the World, Part I... :wink:

And as far as being the new power in the galaxy... just give us some time...
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think Asians will rule space before the rest of us.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Hey us Americans have the flag on the moon. We've got that at least. :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think we'll all kill each other before any truly massive spacefaring undertakings get underway.
as Bull offed Custer