The nature of the Q.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The nature of the Q.

Post by Captain Seafort »

It is generally accepted that Q powers are innate - largely thanks to the "snap fingers and it happens" method favoured by de Lancie's Q. This was particularly true during TNG, with examples such as Amanda Rodgers from "True Q", who demonstrated the ability to use her powers subconsciously.

In Voyager's "Death Wish", however, we got this comment from Quinn:
You and your ship seem incredibly powerful to life-forms without your technical expertise. It's no different with us.
This seems to imply that the abilities of the Q, like those of the Federation and other major species, are technologically generated. This implication is reinforced by "The Q and the Grey", in which not only is Voyager able to physically enter the Continuum with the aid of a supernova and the Swiss-army-knife deflector dish, but her crew is able turn the tide of the Q Civil War by the simple expedient of arming themselves with Q weapons.

Taking this into consideration, let's have a look at the more common abilities demonstrated by the Q.

Can appear out of nowhere in a flash of light - transporters, check.
Can travel at very high speed - warp, transwarp, slipstream, check.
Can produce realistic environments for his games ("Hide and Q", "Qpid", possibly AGT) - holodeck, check.
Can time travel ("Death Wish", possibly AGT) - "The Naked Time", dozens of episodes, ST4, FC, check.
Can shrink Starships ("Death Wish") - "One Little Ship", check.
Can blow up stars - "Generations", check.

All these abilities have been demonstrated by other species than the Q, albeit in a far more limited form. Indeed, in "Devil's Due", we saw an individual using technology to simulate supernatural powers. What's to say the Q aren't doing the same?

Comments?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Clarke's law springs to mind. Beyond a certain point, it doesn't really matter if the powers are innate or are accessed through technology... because I doubt the technology would even appear as anything we think of as technology.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Clarke's law springs to mind. Beyond a certain point, it doesn't really matter if the powers are innate or are accessed through technology... because I doubt the technology would even appear as anything we think of as technology.
True, but the same could be said of transporters, or warp drive. Indeed, to a man ever a few centuries ago, it could be said of nuclear power, or even simple muskets if we go back far enough.

The question is one of whether the Q are another example of this, or whether their abilities truly are innate, as the Organians' and the Dowds' powers apparently are. I believe the former is the one supported by the evidence available.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

My thoughts on "Q and the Gray" would not be allowed on site as it would be in a tone that would make most people sick to their guts.

The whole idea of humans having Q weapons just seemed like another moth on the dead pan that was VOY. However since it was there it must be canon so...

As Q said, this is a rundown, That humans couldn't even dream of the things that the Q could come up with to kill each other. I would take it like this. That the Q have thier powers just like the Organians do yet when facing each other in a war that may just not be enough. So, they have developed tech that can be used against other Q that somehow bypass their natural defenses like being immortal and all that good stuff.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Death Wish is one of the best Q episodes IMO (actually, I only really rate Q Who and Death Wish as really great Q episodes)

Didn't Quinn explicitly state to Tuvok that the Q aren't omnipotent, even though they like to give that impression?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I agree with Deepcrush. Who's to say they can't have both? Like those noncorporeal beings in ENT flying that huge blue ship.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The nature of the Q.

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote: Can blow up stars - "Generations", check.

Comments?
I... don't remember this. I don't even recall him being mentioned at all, actually.

And I think if the Q use technology, it's be... it would appear to us as to be comprehensible.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Q was in Generations? :?
It's been a long time since I saw that film, but I'm pretty sure Q only appears in the TV series, and not in any films.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Q was in Generations? :?
Not Q - the blowing up stars bit. The list is a comparison of abilities demonstrated by Q that have also been demonstrated by undoubtedly technological means. In this case, Soran's starbuster torpedo.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, right. Well, that list makes a lot more sense now. :)
Can shrink Starships ("Death Wish") - "One Little Ship", check.
I don't recall the episode, so please tell me there wasn't an episode where they shrunk the ship. :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
I don't recall the episode, so please tell me there wasn't an episode where they shrunk the ship. :?
They shrunk a runabout. It was literally Honey I Shrunk The Kids in space jammies.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the whole discussion centerpoint is based on a misreading of Q's phrase. He didn't say that their powers were technologically based, he said that Voyager's abilities would appear the same to a less-advanced observer, even though Voyager's abilities are technologically-based.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Kendall wrote:They shrunk a runabout. It was literally Honey I Shrunk The Kids in space jammies.
Oh, christ......
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
Oh, christ......
Remember the scene where the kids are wandering around in the lawn at looking at all the massive bottlecaps and crap? They had the same scene except it was O'Brien and Doctor Horndog wandering around in a computer.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

DUDE! I LOVED THAT MOVIE GROWING UP! :jump:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu