The nature of the Q.

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I think the whole discussion centerpoint is based on a misreading of Q's phrase. He didn't say that their powers were technologically based, he said that Voyager's abilities would appear the same to a less-advanced observer, even though Voyager's abilities are technologically-based.
Quinn said that "it's no different with [the Q]" - I take that to refer specifically to the statement regarding technological expertise, rather than as a general reference to Clarke's law. If he meant it in that sense, why would he have said that it's "no different", rather than "it's similar", or somesuch general phrase?

There's also the matter of "The Q and the Grey". While the appearence of the Q civil war was clearly intended in make it easier for Voyager's crew to understand, their weapons were clearly technological artifacts, rather than representations on inherent powers. The female Q said the the cre were "using our weapons", rather than claiming that she'd given the crew "Q powers" in the same way Q gave them to Riker in "Hide and Q".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Taking the "no different than" phrasing a certain way is simply a matter of viewpoint. As far as the 19th century weapons, I would tend to agree with you - esp. since the Voyager crew was able to pick them up and use them - except for Q's explanation that they were merely representations created to fit the milieu. I don't like it, but that's what he said.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Maybe the best analogy would be a computer's user interface, for that case. Clicking icons rather then typing in the program request manually. Or having to create the program from scratch.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Taking the "no different than" phrasing a certain way is simply a matter of viewpoint.
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:Taking the "no different than" phrasing a certain way is simply a matter of viewpoint.
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." :wink:
"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

Your quote was probably more germane to this discussion, but I always liked that one.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Rochey wrote:Q was in Generations? :?
Not Q - the blowing up stars bit. The list is a comparison of abilities demonstrated by Q that have also been demonstrated by undoubtedly technological means. In this case, Soran's starbuster torpedo.
Ah, aha! Yeah, that list makes more sense. Okay.

Maybe it's partly innate, partly artifacts?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The Q are immortal, and from Deja Q, we know that the Q have superhuman intelligence separate from their powers. It is curious why they would need some sort of physical act to use their powers (Q's finger snap or Quinn's hand gesture). It could be another "physical representation" if we accept that the Q have innate powers, or it could be related to their interface with some technology if we go that route. Q immortality is implied to be innate, as it was only when Q was made human that the concept of dying had ever occurred to him.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Time Lords can "live forever, barring accidents", but they still need their Tardises to travel through time and space. Prodigious natural abilities, such as longevity, do not automatically infer the abilities demonstrated by the Q.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

My natural assumption would be to put the finger snap, et. al., into the same category as the Q's human appearances - necessary only for the sake of inferior observers.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember in the shuttle when Q2 gave Q his powers back after staying on the Ent-D. He didn't use a motion of anykind, it just happened. Much of it may just be a hold over from when they had normal bodies. Habits carry unless something replaces it. It could also just be a form of expression for them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu