Should we let Star Trek rest in peace?

Trek Books, Games and General chat

Should we let Trek RIP?

Yes, it's time to stop flogging the dead horse.
21%
No, there's still a chance that it can get better.
79%

Total votes: 24
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Well, they speak french for starters. We're talking about english/japanese stuff.
One province has french as the primary language, even then most of them also speak english. There are 8 other provinces and three territories.
As for Mainstream, it is mainstream in the US which proves that mainstream Anime is possible, which was my point. Probable is a whole different issue.
Your technical details are red herrings, as I wasn't disputing that it was Sci-Fi. I would like to see some proof of it being mainstream in the US. Anecodetal evidence is worse than useless, as at least three people on here have also used it to rebute your claim.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, they speak french for starters. We're talking about english/japanese stuff.
Do not be alarmed. Do not ajust your set. The sound you are currently hearing is just me banging my head against the wall repeatedly.
As for Mainstream, it is mainstream in the US which proves that mainstream Anime is possible, which was my point. Probable is a whole different issue.
*sigh*
You have yet to show it is mainstream.

IIRC, Mikey's away for the weekend.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Usually I'd let people flail about, but I'll offer some help this time. Try finding viewing numbers.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:*sigh*
You have yet to show it is mainstream.

IIRC, Mikey's away for the weekend.
You've got to be kidding me. The one time I really need him, the one time I'm certain he'd back me up is the one time he's not around. Give me some time to find something more concrete.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. The one time I really need him, the one time I'm certain he'd back me up is the one time he's not around. Give me some time to find something more concrete.
So you'd have two anecdotes against three?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Cpl Kendall wrote:So you'd have two anecdotes against three?
Anecdotes from a single country at that, compared to three countries on two continents.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote: Anecdotes from a single country at that, compared to three countries on two continents.
There's a world outside the US? :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

He'll probably be back in a couple of days. Besides, as has already been pointed out, this is one country.
There's also the fact that this is one show. Even if everyone in the United States watched this program, it does not mean that a certain style of animation is mainstream; it means that the show is popular. Show me a half a dozen or so anime shows that are widely known and watched, and then you'll have proven that anime is somewhat mainstream in the US.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
So you'd have two anecdotes against three?
He's better at this evidencing stuff then I am.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote: He's better at this evidencing stuff then I am.
You're the one making the claims - you provide the evidence or concede the point.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
He'll probably be back in a couple of days. Besides, as has already been pointed out, this is one country.
There's also the fact that this is one show. Even if everyone in the United States watched this program, it does not mean that a certain style of animation is mainstream; it means that the show is popular. Show me a half a dozen or so anime shows that are widely known and watched, and then you'll have proven that anime is somewhat mainstream in the US.
Mikey asked me for one mainstream sci-fi anime series. I provided one sci-fi anime series that was mainstream. In the US at least. So technically my job is done.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey asked me for one mainstream sci-fi anime series. I provided one sci-fi anime series that was mainstream. In the US at least. So technically my job is done.
That's a pretty fine hair your splitting there, almost microscopic.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Mikey asked me for one mainstream sci-fi anime series. I provided one sci-fi anime series that was mainstream. In the US at least. So technically my job is done.
You have yet to demonstrate anything other than your personal opinion. As Cpl Kendall said, provide evidence that this "Speed Racing" thing is mainstream, in the form of viewing numbers. Also, how does "mainstream in the US" make a programme mainstream globally?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Do you have any evidence or shall I accept your concession?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Mikey asked me for one mainstream sci-fi anime series. I provided one sci-fi anime series that was mainstream. In the US at least. So technically my job is done.
You have yet to demonstrate anything other than your personal opinion. As Cpl Kendall said, provide evidence that this "Speed Racing" thing is mainstream, in the form of viewing numbers. Also, how does "mainstream in the US" make a programme mainstream globally?
Okay, first things first. If you aren't going to read or even glance at the articles I provide, you shouldn't even bother answering. The guy's name is Speed Racer. That's the main character's name. That's how I know you didn't even glance at it.

And second, he didn't specify that it had to be global.

And thirdly, I'm trying to find numbers, but the original airing was in the 60's. Even with the resurgence in the 90's I still haven't found anything yet. If anyone has a site where I can find the numbers, I'll search it myself. I just haven't been able to find solid numbers yet. I just need a little time.