32%
No
68%

Total votes: 22
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I agree, Blackstar. We Trekkies will either love this movie and sing its praises for eons or we'll grab torches and pitchforks and make for J.J. Abrams' house. :D I don't think any true Trekkie will say, "meh, it's okay." But I'll hold off on my opinion until I pay the $8.00 to go see it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:I understand what you mean. It sucks when they do it in anime and manga, and it would suck far more if they did it in a long-standing and ardently-followed real TV show like 'Trek.
Did you just insult anime? I'll let you know anime shows have followings larger and stronger then Trek currently has. And they rarely have as many continuity errors. Usually more caused by errors in animation then anything. There are fewer plotholes and continuity errors in an entire anime series then there are in one season of Star Trek.

Now I belive Star Trek has been the victim of having been too on too long, with ideas that worked 20 or 30 years ago that are now out of date. Now I say, let Star Trek rest for a while until it can be rebooted properly. This time around they will be able to do a better job at making the series right, rather then leave their fans to argue over things that don't make sense. Like why they don't fire wide beam phasers to wipe out several Jem'Hadar, or why no one seems to know what armor is.
Why don't you read something before replying to it? I said (emphasis added) "It sucks when they do it in anime..." "it" referring here to the "re-boot" of which you speak. And yes, some anime does suck, much as some is great. Truth to tell, nothing of comparable value has been out since Akira but there are some amusing shows out.

As far as the latter part of your post, regarding making things "right" such as wide-angle phaser beams or body armor - these things are absolutely mind-bogglingly TRIVIAL to the true content of the show itself. We argue these points because they make for some entertaining debates; but to screw with the entire franchise and its fan base simply to fix these little nothings is insane.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:I understand what you mean. It sucks when they do it in anime and manga, and it would suck far more if they did it in a long-standing and ardently-followed real TV show like 'Trek.
Did you just insult anime? I'll let you know anime shows have followings larger and stronger then Trek currently has. And they rarely have as many continuity errors. Usually more caused by errors in animation then anything. There are fewer plotholes and continuity errors in an entire anime series then there are in one season of Star Trek.

Now I belive Star Trek has been the victim of having been too on too long, with ideas that worked 20 or 30 years ago that are now out of date. Now I say, let Star Trek rest for a while until it can be rebooted properly. This time around they will be able to do a better job at making the series right, rather then leave their fans to argue over things that don't make sense. Like why they don't fire wide beam phasers to wipe out several Jem'Hadar, or why no one seems to know what armor is.
Why don't you read something before replying to it? I said (emphasis added) "It sucks when they do it in anime..." "it" referring here to the "re-boot" of which you speak. And yes, some anime does suck, much as some is great. Truth to tell, nothing of comparable value has been out since Akira but there are some amusing shows out.

As far as the latter part of your post, regarding making things "right" such as wide-angle phaser beams or body armor - these things are absolutely mind-bogglingly TRIVIAL to the true content of the show itself. We argue these points because they make for some entertaining debates; but to screw with the entire franchise and its fan base simply to fix these little nothings is insane.
Those were just MINOR examples.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Those are the ONLY examples you gave.

And it doesn't really matter - the true core content of the show is such that any changes that you're discussing would be cosmetic - anything deeper, and you alter that core and wreck the show.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: Usually more caused by errors in animation then anything. There are fewer plotholes and continuity errors in an entire anime series then there are in one season of Star Trek.
It's much easier for most anime, really most shows in general, to be consistant. There just aren't as many factors, and like you know what ninja magic is in the first place. Also I think people tend to cut them more slack. I doubt anybody busts on the cast of Cowboy Bebop (a surprisingly good anime) for not wearing bulletproof vests.

Also Trek has to fill many many seasons with fresh ideas. It all just makes it hard to keep the consistancy tight.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Why throw out a workable concept. Clearly we all like the show or we wouldn't be here, and the concept is sound. The show itself has deviated from it's original path.
Because Trek viewing numbers have slipped so far into the toliet that it killed a show and the last two movies tanked. That should tell you something.

Leave it for twenty years and revisit it, instead of these blatent attempts to milk the cash cow.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree with the "stop flogging it's decomposing corpse and let it die in peace" point of view.

Blackstar, I don't see why you say it's deviated from it's original premise. With the exception of DS9, they've all followed the same pattern.
TOS: Boldly going where no man has gone before, and kicking some alien ass.
TNG: Boldly going where no man has gone before, and preaching at everyone we meet.
VOY: Boldly going where no man has gone before, due to your own stupidity.
ENT: Boldly going where we've already gone before.
All of them are themed around exploring the unknown. The fact that it's become worse at doing it doesn't mean it's deviated, it just means the writers ran out of ideas.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I agree with the "stop flogging it's decomposing corpse and let it die in peace" point of view
I should have a pole on should "Star Trek die?" Yes would probably get more responses then this.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Made one. 8)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
drakkillus darksunn
Petty officer second class

Post by drakkillus darksunn »

I think that Trek needs to go back to their roots, which they may be doing now ( we'll see...). Good thought behind Enterprise, for instance, but it would have been a better idea to use a timeline or character that people were even somewhat familiar with. :twisted:
"Liberate tutame, ex inferis..."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Welcome, drakillus!

I don't mind new characters - after all, every new series by nature is full of 'em. The main problem with ENT was the revision/ignorance of what had already bee done or established by the characters that we had already known.
as Bull offed Custer
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Trek need a pause. They spat out 4 seris in 15 years 3 of them running at the same time. They just overdid it. If they would just ran the seris one after another it would be a lot better. The final mistake was that they made enterprise in the past.
After the movie the shoud just make apause for another ten or fifteen years and than come out with a seris that would again make a jump for 100 years.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

drakkillus darksunn wrote:I think that Trek needs to go back to their roots, which they may be doing now ( we'll see...). Good thought behind Enterprise, for instance, but it would have been a better idea to use a timeline or character that people were even somewhat familiar with. :twisted:
I think if they were going to do a prequel series at all, Enterprise was set at exactly the right time (maybe starting 3-4 years later would have been better). That way they could show the Romulan War and the founding of the Federation - as they were moving towards by the end of the series. As many people have said time and again, the problem wasn't the idea but the execution.

Welcome to DITL. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
drakkillus darksunn

Post by drakkillus darksunn »

Now, don't get me wrong, I happened to love Enterprise as much as any other variant, but the timeline in which it was set in wasn't about to garner the ratings that it needed to stay afloat for long; nor was the writing :cry: in which it was subjected to. :twisted:

Thanks for the welcome! :shock:
"Liberate tutame, ex inferis..."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There was plenty of promise in the setting. There was so much they could have done with it, yet they didn't. That's the real crux of this problem.

And welcome to DITL. :)